Grilled Salmon Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa are a must make this grilling season! Mexican spiced grilled salmon topped with the most flavorful sweet, savory and spicy salsa. You’ll love these fresh and flavorful tacos!
If you love these salmon tacos then you need to try my grilled salmon tacos with corn salsa!
Why I love them
Easy to make – These salmon tacos can be ready to eat in about 30 minutes, making them ideal for weeknight dinners.
Healthy tacos – Salmon is full of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids and is a great source of protein. Pair it with the healthy fats in the avocado and the vitamin C rich strawberries and you’ve got meal full of nutrients.
Fresh and flavorful – The strawberry avocado salsa not only pairs well with the savory southwest flavors of the grilled salmon, but adds a fresh sweet element to the tacos. It’s the type of light and fresh meal you likely find yourself craving in the hot summer months.
Ingredients for salmon tacos
- Salmon fillets – I recommend using wild caught salmon if possible. For these tacos I used sockeye salmon.
- Chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, chipotle chile powder – The spice rub for the salmon. Smoky, spicy, and earthy in flavor.
- Strawberries – Look for strawberries that are bright red in color and have a natural shine to them.
- Avocado – A ripe avocado should yield slightly when you squeeze it. The avocado adds a creamy rich texture to the salsa.
- Red onion – I like to use red onion for raw applications because the flavor isn’t as intense as yellow onions.
- Cilantro – Fresh, flavorful and a must for salsa.
- Jalapeño – I always recommend tasting a small piece of the jalapeño before adding it to whatever you’re making. That way you know how spicy it is and can adjust the amount you use as needed.
- Lime – Use fresh squeezed lime versus bottled lime juice for the best flavor.
How to make grilled salmon tacos
Season the salmon – Combine the dried spices in a small bowl. Pat the salmon fillets dry and them sprinkle on salt, pepper, and the spice rub. Drizzle the salmon with a little olive oil.
Grill the salmon – Preheat your grill to about 400° F. Oil the grates and then place the salmon flesh side down onto the grill. Grill for about 3 minutes and then flip the fillets over and grill another 3 minutes or until an internal temperature of 120-125° F. Let the salmon rest for 5 minutes before removing the skin and flaking it apart with a fork.
Assemble the tacos – Warm the tortillas on the grill if possible, otherwise wrap them in damp paper towels and warm them in the microwave for about 30 seconds. This will also help to keep the tortillas from falling apart. Add some of the grilled salmon to the tortilla and top it with the salsa.
How to make strawberry avocado salsa
This is a quick and easy salsa to make. Simply dice the strawberries and avocado keeping them similar in size. Add them to a bowl along with the diced red onion, chopped cilantro, salt, and lime.
Taste for seasoning and add more salt or lime juice as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. I don’t recommend making this salsa more than a couple hours in advance. The avocado will brown and both the strawberries and avocado will get mushy the longer it sits.
Tips for grilling salmon
- If you can get center cut fillets they will cook more evenly.
- Don’t overcook salmon or it will be very dry, think canned fish dry. Using a meat thermometer is the best way to prevent this from happening. I cook mine to about 120-125° F.
- Use skin-on salmon. This will help it stay in tact on the grill and help prevent it from falling apart.
- Make sure your grill grates are clean and well oiled to prevent the salmon from sticking to them.
- Like all meat, I like to let the salmon rest for 5 minutes before removing the skin and flaking it apart.
More taco recipes
- Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Creamy Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Slaw
Did you make these grilled salmon tacos with strawberry avocado salsa? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 1 pound wild caught salmon fillets
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed or grilled
Strawberry Avocado Salsa
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and finely diced
- 1/2 of a lime, juiced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. In a small bowl combine the chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pat the salmon dry with paper towels then sprinkle the seasoning mix over the salmon fillets, rubbing it in gently to ensure it doesn't all fall off.
- Oil the grill grates and place the salmon on the grill (flesh side down if using skin-on). Cook for approximately 6-10 minutes depending on the thickness and how well done you like it cooked. Let the salmon rest for several minutes before removing the skin and flaking it apart with a fork.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the strawberry avocado salsa. Stir together gently and taste for seasoning.
- Warm or grill the corn tortillas and fill them with the grilled flaked salmon and topped with the salsa.
- This recipe will feed 4 generously or 6 if you don't fill your tacos as full.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 62mgFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 28g