These Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites are a must make for game day or your next party! Mini wonton cups filled with guacamole and topped with shrimp are the perfect, easy to make two-bite appetizer!
Well I thought you needed one more easy appetizer for your Super Bowl party this weekend because you can never have too many easy appetizer recipes. When it comes to making appetizers for a party I’ve learned that easy is best.
Keeping your sanity and being in a good mood when guests show up is far better than having a complicated appetizer that took half the day to make and that no one will ever know or care that it took that long to make. All anyone cares about is eating food that tastes good, having fun and in this case watching the big game. These Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites are both quick and easy to make and include a couple shortcuts you can take to make them even easier.
Shrimp is one of my favorite appetizers. Put me near a plate of it and it will be gone in minutes. Aside from shrimp cocktail and lemon dill shrimp my favorite ways to flavor it is in a quick tequila lime marinade. When I say quick I mean it!
You literally whisk the marinade together, toss the shrimp in it then dump it all in a screaming hot skillet. Don’t let the shrimp hang out in the marinade for more than a minute or they’ll start to cook themselves in the acid from the lime juice and you’ll end up with shrimp ceviche.
Once the shrimp are cooked which only takes about two minutes, put them on a plate to cool. Now to the shortcuts for these Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites.
The first is the wonton cups that hold the shrimp and act as the taco shell. I made my cups a day in advance and stored them in an airtight container. They don’t take long to make if you are doing it the day of, but it’s always nice to have one less step the day of the party. If you’re really rushed you could also serve these in mini phyllo cups that you get in the freezer section of the store or the little scoop tortilla chips would work as well.
The other shortcut I took when I made these was to use store bought guacamole. It’s a big time saver, but if you’re not into that feel free to make your own. To assemble the bites, dollop a spoonful of guacamole into the wonton cup and top it with a couple of the cooked tequila lime shrimp. Garnish with chopped cilantro and that’s all there is to it! Stress free easy appetizers are definitely the way to go when you’re throwing a party!
Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 pound shrimp (21-25 count), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, salt and pepper
- 1 cup guacamole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Nestle one wonton wrapper down into each of the 24 muffin cups.
- Bake the cups for about 6 minutes or until golden brown.
Tequila Lime Shrimp
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the tequila, lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, hot sauce, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over high heat.
- Add the shrimp to the marinade and toss until they are all coated.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray then dump in the shrimp and most of the marinade.
- Cook the shrimp for approximately one minute then flip them oven and cook the other side for another minute or so, just until they are pink and opaque.
- Remove the shrimp from the skillet onto a plate.
Assembling the Taco Bites
- Spoon one heaping teaspoon of guacamole into each wonton cup.
- Place 1-2 shrimp on top of the guacamole.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro if desired.
- These are best assembled right before serving to prevent the guacamole from browning and the wonton cups from becoming soft.
- The shrimp and wonton cups can both be made a day in advance.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
More Wonton Cup Appetizers
Tarragon Chicken Salad Wonton Cups
Melissa Falk says
Danae, These are both elegant and fun for game day. Well, done! Most importantly….there is tequila involved :)
Thanks Melissa and yes the tequila is most important! ;-)
Natasha @ Salt and Lavender says
These are so cute and would be perfect for the big game this weekend!!
allie @ Through Her Looking Glass says
Wow, these are gorgeous little apps. Perfect for game day or parties. Seriously, I could eat a tray of ’em and not blink twice. Such stunning photos.
Thanks Allie! We devoured almost all of them that night for dinner!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting says
My favorite appetizer!
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
Little bites of perfection! The only problem with these bites is that I probably wouldn’t be able to stop eating them. I love the tequila lime flavors and the guacamole is the best addition.
Thanks Ashley! They are an addictive little bite for sure!
Celia at Chicago Jogger says
Yum, these look SO good! Shrimp needs to be at everyone’s appetizer table, clearly.
I completely agree! You can’t go wrong with shrimp!