Mini wonton cups filled with guacamole and topped with shrimp are the perfect, easy to make two-bite appetizer! These Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites are a must make for game day or your next party!
Well I thought you needed one more easy appetizer for your Super Bowl party this weekend because you can never have too many easy appetizer recipes. When it comes to making appetizers for a party I’ve learned that easy is best. Keeping your sanity and being in a good mood when guests show up is far better than having a complicated appetizer that took you half the day to make and that your guests will never know or probably care that it took that long to make. All anyone cares about is eating food that tastes good, having fun and in this case watching the big game. These Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites are both quick and easy to make and include a couple shortcuts you can take to make them even easier.
Shrimp is one of my favorite appetizers. Put me near a plate of it and it will be gone in minutes. Aside from shrimp cocktail and lemon garlic shrimp my favorite ways to flavor it is in a quick tequila lime marinade. When I say quick I mean it! You literally whisk the marinade together, toss the shrimp in it then dump it all in a screaming hot skillet. Don’t let the shrimp hang out in the marinade for more than a minute or they’ll start to cook themselves in the acid from the lime juice and you’ll end up with shrimp ceviche.
Once the shrimp are cooked which only takes about two minutes, put them on a plate to cool. Now to the shortcuts for these Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites. The first is the wonton cups that hold the shrimp and act as the taco shell. I made my cups a day in advance and stored them in an airtight container. They don’t take long to make if you are doing it the day of, but it’s always nice to have one less step the day of the party. If you’re really rushed you could also serve these in mini phyllo cups that you get in the freezer section of the store or the little scoop tortilla chips would work as well.
The other shortcut I took when I made these was to use store bought guacamole. It’s a heck of a time saver, but if you’re not into that feel free to make your own. To assemble the bites, dollop a spoonful of guacamole into the wonton cup and top it with a couple of the cooked tequila lime shrimp. Garnish with a little chopped cilantro and that’s all there is to it! Stress free easy appetizers are definitely the way to go when you’re throwing a party!
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 pound shrimp (21-25 count), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, salt and pepper
- 1 cup guacamole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Nestle one wonton wrapper down into each of the 24 muffin cups.
- Bake the cups for about 6 minutes or until golden brown.
Tequila Lime Shrimp
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the tequila, lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, hot sauce, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over high heat.
- Add the shrimp to the marinade and toss until they are all coated.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray then dump in the shrimp and most of the marinade.
- Cook the shrimp for approximately one minute then flip them oven and cook the other side for another minute or so, just until they are pink and opaque.
- Remove the shrimp from the skillet onto a plate.
Assembling the Taco Bites
- Spoon one heaping teaspoon of guacamole into each wonton cup.
- Place 1-2 shrimp on top of the guacamole.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro if desired.
- These are best assembled right before serving to prevent the guacamole from browning and the wonton cups from becoming soft.
- The shrimp and wonton cups can both be made a day in advance.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 284mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Protein: 5g
More Wonton Cup Appetizers