Turkey and Vegetable Skillet is an easy weeknight dinner that can be on the table in 30 minutes or less! This healthy one pan dinner is full of lean ground turkey, green beans, zucchini, summer squash and fire roasted tomatoes. Top it with flavorful smoked mozzarella for a meal everyone will love!
Who’s in need of a quick, easy to make, healthy dinner, that’s all made in one pan? I’m always in need of those kinds of recipes, that’s why I have an entire category on the blog dedicated to skillet and one pot meals. One of my go-to meals when I’m either not in the mood to cook or short on time is this Turkey and Vegetable Skillet.
It’s made with basic ingredients and can easily be customized based on what you have in your fridge and what you and your family like. This meal is also great if you’re doing meal prep as the leftovers taste great and hold up well for several days.
Ingredients Needed to Make Turkey and Vegetable Skillet
- Ground turkey
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Green beans
- Zucchini and/or summer squash
- Onion and garlic
- Dried oregano and basil
- Smoked mozzarella cheese
How to Make Turkey and Vegetable Skillet
As if the ingredients weren’t basic enough, making it is even easier!
- Brown the turkey and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the turkey is no longer pink add in the green bean. Cook for about 2 minutes and then add in the zucchini, summer squash, fire roasted tomatoes, dried oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cook for another 3 minutes or until the zucchini and squash are tender.
- Finish the skillet by topping it with the shredded cheese. You can either wait for it to melt or broil it in the oven for a minute or two, until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Ground Turkey – the turkey can be substituted with either ground chicken or ground beef.
Fire Roasted Tomatoes – Regular diced tomatoes or the diced tomatoes with basil are good replacements.
Green Beans, Zucchini, Summer Squash – These vegetables are all interchangeable and can be replaced with just about anything you have or like. Bell peppers, brussels sprouts, spinach, kale, potatoes (you’ll want to par-cook them before adding them in) or broccoli would all be equally delicious.
Smoked Mozzarella – I will say that the smoked mozzarella adds great flavor to this recipe. However, if you don’t like smoked cheese regular mozzarella, provolone, an Italian cheese blend or fontina would all be delicious replacements.
You probably noticed that this is a lower carb meal. If you want to make it more complete you can mix cooked rice into the skillet after the turkey and vegetable have cooked. You could also serve it over pasta or with a side of crusty bread. Whether you decide to make the recipe the way I have or make a couple substitutions or additions, I know you’ll love it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini and/or summer squash
- 1 cup fresh green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese or regular mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a large oven proof skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot add in the ground turkey and crumble it with a wooden spoon.
- Once the turkey is almost cooked through add in the onion, garlic, basil, oregano and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute and then add in the rest of the vegetables. Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened slightly.
- Top the turkey and vegetable mixture with the shredded cheese. Put the skillet in the oven and broil it just until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 219mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 43g