This Asparagus, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Pizza is perfect for spring! Topped with crisp, salty bacon, fresh asparagus, mozzarella and creamy herbed goat cheese.
Happy Friday everyone! It’s been a few weeks since we celebrated pizza Friday, so I thought I better get my act together and make a new pizza. This tasty new pizza is all about celebrating spring and the return of asparagus! I don’t know about you, but I can’t get enough of it. I roast it, sauté it, throw it in hash (that recipe is coming next week), and possibly my favorite way to eat it is on this Asparagus, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Pizza!
I can’t say that I loved eating asparagus as a kid. In fact I probably stuck my nose up at it and looked at my mom like she was nuts for trying to make me eat it. Back in the day the way most of us ate our vegetables were steamed with salt and pepper on them….not exactly the most flavor intense way to eat your veggies. Now however, we have found far better ways to cook our veggies and are adding flavors that not only compliment, but enhance the flavor.
Speaking of enhancing flavor, did you know that bacon and asparagus are like the dream team meat and vegetable combo? Well actually pairing bacon with any vegetable is pretty dang good! I knew when I made this pizza I better include some kind of meat on it or my husband would be less than thrilled.
The obvious choice was bacon, the man loves his bacon. Bacon isn’t something I use everyday so I knew this would be a special treat for him, plus he might forget that I stuck a whole boat load of asparagus all over the pizza. It’s all about compromises, he gets his bacon, I get my asparagus, and we both get CHEESE!!!!
Instead of putting sauce on this pizza I decided to spread delicious herbed goat cheese all over it. To make the goat cheese spreadable I let it soften like you would cream cheese, then loosened it up a little with some plain Greek yogurt. The combination of the creamy herbed goat cheese, with the salty smoked bacon, and the crisp asparagus was perfect for a spring pizza!
I finished off the pizza with some mozzarella for extra cheesiness and a sprinkle of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. If your trying to find a way to get your kids or spouse to embrace the abundance of spring asparagus, trying making this Asparagus, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Pizza, because who can say no to a slice of pizza?!
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 4 ounces herb goat cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound asparagus, woody ends removed, cut into 2 inch pieces and blanched, roasted or sautéed
- 5 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper for sprinkling on top of the pizza
- Preheat oven to 475° F. Roll out the pizza dough onto a greased baking sheet or a pizza stone.
- In a small bowl whisk together the softened goat cheese and Greek yogurt until smooth. Spread the goat cheese mixture evenly on top of the pizza dough. Top the pizza with the blanched asparagus pieces, chopped bacon, mozzarella cheese, and a sprinkle of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 539mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g
More Pizza Recipes