Caribbean Salmon Quinoa Bowls are a healthy and filling weeknight dinner! Salmon fillets grilled to perfection and served on top of a bed of quinoa, black beans, and delicious homemade mango salsa!
Happy Friday Friends! How excited are you that the weekend is finally here? I’m pretty darn excited, although I can’t say there has been a time when I said to myself “oh man the weekend is here!” because that would just be weird. I don’t really have anything big planned. My husband will be gone golfing all afternoon Saturday which he of course is thrilled about. I’m thinking that will be the perfect time to do some things around the house that I’ve been neglecting for what seems like forever…or maybe I’ll just put on my swimsuit and go lay out on the deck with a cocktail and be a lazy bum all afternoon.
One thing I plan to make again this weekend are these Caribbean Salmon Quinoa Bowls. I’m thinking they will be perfect for Sunday night dinner. This isn’t the first quinoa bowl I’ve made and shared a recipe for, in fact I have several quinoa bowl recipes. This is however the first one I made with salmon. I love how rich and flavorful salmon is not to mention how beautiful it’s color is! Salmon is something we grill often in the summer and it helps that I have a freezer full of it.
Normally when we grill salmon we keep it simple and just use salt, pepper, and some lemon juice to flavor it. Recently though I was craving some tropical/Caribbean flavored food, I’m guessing all the summer heat has something to do with that, so I thought making a Caribbean spiced rub for the salmon would be good. The spice rub includes, chili powder, cumin, allspice, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt. The list of spices is a little long, but when they’re combined it creates a slightly spicy, warm, rich flavor that pairs perfectly with the flavor of the salmon.
Since this is a quinoa bowl there is obviously quinoa, I like to use the tri-color kind because I love the colors, but any kind of quinoa will do. Along with the salmon and quinoa you will also find black beans and an easy, super flavorful mango salsa. Mangos taste so sweet and delicious right now, and it was an obvious choice for me when deciding what kind of salsa to make. These Caribbean flavored quinoa bowls are full of healthy proteins and carbs and are a great choice for a fresh and filling summer dinner!
Caribbean Spice Rubbed Salmon
- 4 wild caught salmon fillets
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced mango
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
Caribbean Spice Rubbed Salmon
- In a small bowl whisk together all of the spices for the salmon fillets. Divide the spice mixture evenly between the salmon and rub it into the fish.
- Place the fillets on a grill that has been heated to medium high heat and the grates have been oiled. Grill for about 4-6 minutes or until the salmon flakes when tested with a fork.
- In a medium sized bowl toss together all of the ingredients for the mango salsa until combined.
- In 4 bowls, place 1/2 a cup of cooked quinoa, 1/4 cup black beans, 1 salmon fillet, and some of the mango salsa.
If you don't have a grill you can also broil the salmon in the oven or pan fry it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 352mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 9gSugar: 20gProtein: 28g