Well here we are faced with another Friday, my favorite day to face! Aside from Fridays being the gateway to the weekend, it’s also become pizza Friday around our house. I’m not sure how I got hooked on making pizza on Fridays, but the hubs doesn’t seem to mind so as long as there are no complaints I think I’ll keep going with this tradition. Today I’m sharing a classic chicken recipe turned pizza, Chicken Cordon Bleu Pizza!
Now don’t get me wrong, I love the classic stuffed chicken dish, but it’s Friday and no one has the patience or energy to be stuffing and rolling a bird on a Friday night. Plus, what fun is it to be sitting in front of the TV watching your favorite show or movie trying to neatly cut up a piece of chicken when you could be stuffing your face with a slice of this pizza?!
In case you aren’t familiar with chicken cordon bleu, it’s a classic dish that consists of a piece of flattened chicken with thin slices of ham and cheese layered inside, then it’s tightly rolled up. The type of cheese used can vary from swiss, gruyere, or mozzarella. The chicken is then coated in bread crumbs and pan or deep fried. So as you can see as amazing as it tastes, it is a little time consuming for an easy, laid back Friday night dinner.
Making this pizza is so easy and doesn’t require any more ingredients than you would normally use when making pizza. The first step is to make the sauce and oh my goodness it’s good sauce! Basically you will be making a white sauce, but a lightened up one, BONUS! The sauce is made by heating olive oil in a small saucepan then adding in flour and whisking it together until a paste forms. Next, slowly add in skim or 2% milk and continually whisk the sauce to prevent lumps from forming. Whisk in some garlic powder, salt, and pepper to season the sauce, and continue whisking until the sauce has thickened. The entire process will take less than 10 minutes, no biggie!
To finish making the pizza, add the delicious sauce you made to the rolled out pizza dough and top the pizza with swiss cheese or mozzarella if you prefer, slices of ham or Canadian bacon, slices of cooked chicken breast, and some sliced green onions. Finish the Chicken Cordon Bleu Pizza off with a sprinkling of Italian seasoning and put it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until it’s all melty and bubbly. The only thing left to do after it comes out of the oven is cut yourself a slice or two, park your rear on the couch, turn on your favorite TV show or movie and enjoy your Friday night!
More Pizza Recipes
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese or part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
To Make the Sauce
- In a small saucepan heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot whisk in the flour and let it cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat down to medium and slowly whisk in the milk. Continue whisking and add in the salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Once the sauce has thickened (about 3-5 minutes) remove from the heat.
To Make the Pizza
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Roll the pizza dough out onto a pizza stone or sheet pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spread the white sauce onto the pizza dough. Top the pizza with the shredded cheese, chicken, ham, green onions, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 468mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 18g