Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup is the perfect soup to make this fall and winter! It’s thick, creamy, and has just the right balance of sweet and spicy flavors. Chili spiced pepitas are the perfect topper for this easy and delicious one pot soup!
Thanks to my friends at American Dairy Association Mideast for sponsoring this post. As always all opinions are my own.
Soup season is in full swing and today I’ve got another one to share with you, Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup! Last week it was all about the chunky slow cooker buffalo chicken chili and the classic chicken and wild rice soup. Both are loaded with texture.
Today’s chipotle sweet potato soup is for those days when you want a creamy, silky soup. One that you dip a piece of crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich into. This soup is a little sweet with the perfect amount of spicy flavor!
Ingredients Needed to Make Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
- Yellow onion
- Sweet potatoes
- Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- Cumin and chili powder
- Low sodium vegetable broth
- Half and half
- Plain Greek yogurt
How to Make Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
Grab a large pot and heat it up with some olive oil. Add in the onion, celery, garlic and sweet potatoes and sauté for about 5 minutes. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, then add in one chopped chipotle chile and a tablespoon of the adobo sauce.
Pour in the vegetable broth and water and bring the soup to a boil. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft. Use an immersion stick or blender to purée the soup until it’s completely smooth.
If you used a blender, pour the soup back into the pot. Off the heat, stir in the half and half and plain Greek yogurt. Serve the soup topped with pepitas, cilantro and an extra dollop of Greek yogurt.
Health Benefits of Plain Greek Yogurt
You’ll find that many of my creamy soups get that creaminess at least in part from plain Greek yogurt. I always opt to use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream because it’s always in my fridge and because of the health benefits.
- Greek yogurt is high in protein, which is going to help keep you fuller longer. It packs in dairy’s 9 essential nutrients. Six ounces of Greek yogurt typically contains 14–17 grams of protein.
- It contains probiotics which can boost your immune system and decrease stomach issues.
- It’s a good source of calcium, B-12 and potassium.
Toppings for Sweet Potato Soup
I highly recommend making the chili spiced pepitas for this soup. They’re nice and crunchy and go really well with the creamy soup. Making them is very easy too. Toss the pepitas, chili powder, cumin, salt and olive oil together in a small bowl. Toss them into a skillet and toast then until they’re lightly browned and puffed up a little. It’s basically the same method as toasting nuts.
Other topping ideas:
- A dollop of Greek yogurt
- Homemade croutons. Just toss cubes of crusty bread in olive oil, salt and pepper. Then, bake them in the oven at 375° F. for about 10 minutes.
- Extra adobo sauce from the can of chipotle chilis. This is for all my readers that love extra spicy food!
What to Serve with Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
- Easy Cheese Quesadillas
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chipotle Lime Grilled Chicken with Mango Salsa
- Chipotle Maple Grilled Salmon
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 chopped chipotle chile, plus 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, I used 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt to taste
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add in the onion, celery, sweet potatoes and garlic. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables for about 4-5 minutes then add in the chopped chipotle chile and adobo sauce, vegetable broth and water. Stir everything together then reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are very soft (fork tender).
- While the soup is cooking make the spiced pepitas. Toss all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add in the pepitas. Stir the pepitas occasionally and toast them until they're lightly browned, puffed and fragrant.
- Use an immersion stick or blender to purée the soup until it's completely smooth. Pour in the half and half and Greek yogurt and immediately stir the soup until they're incorporated.
- Serve the soup topped with the spiced pepitas, chopped cilantro and an extra drizzle of Greek yogurt and/or adobo sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 7gSugar: 15gProtein: 9g