If you love muffins that are full of texture and flavor then you’ll love these Morning Glory Sweet Potato Almond Butter Muffins. This incredibly moist and hearty muffin loaded with shredded carrots, coconut, raisins and pecans will remind you why homemade muffins are always the best!
I hope you guys had a great Memorial Day weekend! Ours was great although I could have done without the rain and cool weather on Saturday. I was finally able to get some herbs in pots and get my vegetable garden started. Hopefully we won’t get a big hail storm the first week in June like we did last year. It totally leveled everything I planted, I was so mad!
Sunday we went to a barbecue in our neighborhood and then Monday continued the barbecuing on our own. Needless to say I’m a little sick of burgers…at least until next weekend. I thought you guys might need a little break from the grill as well, so today I made us these magical Morning Glory Sweet Potato Almond Butter Muffins.
Why are they magical? The sweet potato makes them incredibly moist, it really surprised me. I’ve made plenty of pumpkin muffins before and you’d think it would have the same result, but they can’t compare to these Morning Glory muffins.
I’ve been wanting to make a Morning Glory muffin for a while and I kept putting it off because it seemed like more of a fall flavor. But, if you’re like me you probably eat sweet potatoes year round, so that sealed the deal and justified me making them in May.
On top of the sweet potato making them moist and delicious, these muffins are loaded with goodies. Toasted pecans and coconut, raisins and of course they wouldn’t be morning glory muffins without shredded carrots! To me, these muffins are basically breakfast carrot cake, which I’m sure you’ve figured out by previous recipes, I’m a huge fan of.
Another ingredient I’ve become a big fan of adding to my muffins is almond butter. I first tried it in these Raspberry Jam Swirled Almond Butter Muffins and loved the nutty flavor it added to the muffins. The results were similar if not better in these morning glory muffins. The nutty almond flavor paired with the sweet potato, warm cinnamon and all those add ins was mouthwatering!
These muffins are great to keep in the freezer when you need a quick breakfast or snack or they make a great weekend breakfast or brunch item alongside some eggs and bacon. Be sure to sample one straight from the oven with a little butter melting all over it, that’s when they’re the best!
- 1/2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons toasted chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a standard muffin pan with parchment paper liners or spray with cooking oil. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the almond butter and maple syrup until smooth then add in the mashed sweet potato, egg, milk, vanilla and grated carrot and whisk or stir together until combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, pecans, coconut and raisins.
- Pour the wet mixture in with the dry and stir together with a rubber spatula just until combined and you don't see any more streaks of flour.
- Fill the muffin cups evenly with the batter then place them on the middle rack of the oven to bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pan to cool for a few minutes on a wire cooling rack before serving.
- These muffins aren't very sweet. If you prefer a sweeter muffin add an extra tablespoon of maple syrup.
- These muffins freeze nicely. Let them cool completely then wrap them individually in plastic wrap and store them in a gallon sized freezer bag.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 141mgFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
More Muffins You’ll Love