This Cranberry Orange Bourbon Cocktail is perfect for winter and the holiday season! This easy four ingredient cocktail has just the right balance of sweet and tart flavors and is sure to be a favorite for bourbon lovers!
Cranberry orange is probably my favorite holiday flavor combination. I love it more than eggnog, gingerbread and peppermint, although I enjoy all of those too. Most of the cranberry orange recipes you see are for food, but I thought it would be wonderful in this Cranberry Orange Bourbon Cocktail.
The tartness of the cranberry juice paired with the sweet orange juice and vanilla notes in the bourbon is delicious! This is an uncomplicated cocktail that anyone who loves bourbon and whiskey can make.
Ingredients to Make Cranberry Orange Bourbon Cocktail
- Cranberry juice
- Fresh orange juice
- Maple syrup
- Fresh cranberries and rosemary sprigs for garnish
How to Make a Cranberry Orange Bourbon Cocktail
Making this cocktail is about as easy as it gets. You’ll need a shot glass or some sort of measuring glass. Measure out the cranberry juice, fresh squeezed orange juice and bourbon and add them to a cocktail shaker. Depending on how sweet you want your drink, add a teaspoon or two of maple syrup.
Shake everything together and pour it into a lowball glass with a couple ice cubes. Add a few fresh cranberries for garnish a sprig of fresh rosemary. The rosemary not only acts as a stir stick, but when you take a sip you get that lovely pine smell.
- Take the extra minute to squeeze fresh orange juice and strain it. Since there are only a few ingredients in this drink you want to use the best. In my opinion fresh squeezed orange juice is far superior than what you buy at the grocery store.
- Use unsweetened cranberry juice. Since the orange juice is already sweet and there is maple syrup being added, I found it to be the perfect sweetness. If you can’t find unsweetened cranberry juice (not cranberry concentrate), you may want to omit the maple syrup. Again, this is all dependent on how sweet you like your cocktails.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Need a Cocktail Shaker to Make This Drink?
No. If you don’t have a cocktail shaker you have a couple options. Use a mason jar with a lid. Add a few ice cubes to it, pour in the drink, screw on the lid and shake until it’s cold. You can also just whisk together all of the ingredients in a measuring glass.
Brands of Bourbon or Whiskey to Use For This Cocktail
As I’m sure you’re aware there are hundreds if not thousand of brands of bourbon and whiskey to pick from. Below I’ve listed some of our favorites for mixed drinks, but feel free to use whatever your favorite is and that’s in your price range.
- Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey – A personal favorite of mine and a local Colorado brand.
- Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon
- Maker’s 46 Bourbon
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Buffalo Trace
- 2 ounces fresh squeezed orange juice, strained
- 2 ounces unsweetened cranberry juice
- 2 ounces bourbon or whiskey
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Fresh cranberries and rosemary for garnish
- Place all of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until cold and pour into a lowball glass with a couple of ice cubes. Garnish with fresh cranberries and a sprig of rosemary for stirring.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g