This one pan Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pasta is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner! Shredded chicken, zucchini, green chiles, tomatoes and corn are seasoned with Mexican spices then combined with pasta, enchilada sauce, cheese and Greek yogurt to make it creamy, but also keep it healthy!
I had a major craving for both Mexican food and pasta a couple weeks ago. Since chicken enchiladas are my favorite Mexican dish, I decided that this Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pasta was the perfect way to satisfy my craving. It only need one pan to cook it in and it’s sure to be a hit with your whole family!
There’s no shortage of Mexican inspired recipes on my blog. This Mexican Chicken, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Skillet is my most popular recipe to date and one of my personal favorites. I’m also extremely fond of this Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash and these Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.
What Do I Need to Make Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pasta?
- Pasta, I like to use rotini or shells. Gluten free pasta may also be used.
- Green onions
- Frozen or fresh corn
- Chili powder and cumin
- Green chiles, canned or frozen
- Green or red enchilada sauce
- Cooked chicken, leftover rotisserie chicken works great
- Colby Jack, Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Black olives, tomatoes, cilantro and green onions for garnish (optional)
How To Make Enchilada Pasta
As I mentioned about this pasta dish can be made in one pan or pot. Make sure to use one that is large enough to stir all of the ingredients together.
- Start by cooking the pasta. Cook it for a minute less than suggested because it will continue to cook when you add it back in with all of the other ingredients.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and return the pan/pot that you cooked the pasta in to the stove. Heat a couple teaspoons of olive oil in the pan and then add in the green onion, zucchini, corn and tomatoes. Season with the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes and then add in the green chiles, cilantro and shredded chicken.
- Stir everything together and pour in the enchilada sauce. Add the pasta back into the pan along with the shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and everything is heated through.
- Turn of the heat and remove the pan from the stove. Stir in the Greek yogurt until it’s incorporated. Serve the pasta topped with sliced black olive, diced tomatoes, cilantro, green onions and extra cheese if desired.
How to Make the Pasta Recipe Vegetarian?
This recipe can easily be modified to fit a vegetarian diet simply by swapping the chicken with a can of black or pinto beans. You can also add extra vegetables such as bell peppers and more zucchini if you prefer to not use beans.
Will Gluten Free Pasta Work For This Recipe?
Yes. I’ve made it with both gluten free and regular pasta. My favorite gluten free pasta to use is Jovial. It has a nice texture and holds up well assuming you don’t over cook it. It’s especially important to undercook gluten free pasta in this recipe as it tends to fall apart much easier that regular pasta.
Tips To Prevent the Greek Yogurt From Curdling
Greek yogurt is my go-to ingredient to add to all of my creamy recipes without having to use cream or sour cream. To keep it from curdling or getting a grainy texture, it’s important to remove the pasta from the heat and stir it in quickly at the end. I also measure out the yogurt when I start cooking so it can come to room temperature. This way it doesn’t go into the hot pasta ice cold and seize up.
More Chicken Enchilada Inspired Recipes
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta, rotini or shells work great
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces green or red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, Colby Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup plain non fat greek yogurt, 2% or whole work too
- Tomatoes, black olives, cilantro, green onions and extra cheese for toppings
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions and drain in a a colander. Return the pot or pan to the stove and heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Swirl to coat the bottom when hot.
- Add the green onions, zucchini, corn and tomatoes to the pan, season with salt and pepper and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the green chiles, shredded chicken, chili powder, cumin, enchilada sauce, cilantro and shredded cheese. Stir until combined.
- Add the pasta back into the pan and stir until everything is heated through and the cheese is melted. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Greek yogurt until incorporated and creamy. Serve the pasta topped with diced tomatoes, black olives, green onions, cilantro and extra cheese if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 560mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 33g