Thick, creamy, cozy, Curried Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup is as healthy as it is flavorful and delicious! Vegan, gluten-free, paleo and totally satisfying!
Happy New Year friends! Gosh it feels weird to say that. I feel like the older I get the faster time seems to go by. I hope you all had a fun and relaxing holiday. We stayed here in Denver, so things were pretty quiet, but sometimes that’s a good thing. My husband has had the past week off of work so we were able to spend some quality time together and do some fun things here in town.
After the overload of sweets during the past few weeks, I’ve been feeling a little weighted down and know it’s time to get back on track with healthy eating. I wouldn’t say that I went overboard on the holiday food, but I had my fair share and am glad to have it all out of the house now. One of my favorite things to have in the fridge or freezer is homemade soup and I’m especially proud of this recipe for Curried Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup.
I decided to combine both butternut squash and cauliflower as a way to lower the carbs so I could get more bang for my buck, meaning a bigger serving. While soup is great, often times it leaves me hungry unless there is protein in it. Since this is a plant based soup, lots of fiber and a slightly larger serving were the answer to keeping me full.
The flavor of the soup is warm and comforting. Curry, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and coriander work so well together with the sweetness of the butternut squash. This soup is ultra thick and creamy which also makes it feel heartier compared to a broth based soup.
After the butternut squash and cauliflower have simmered in the broth and are tender, use an immersion stick or blender to blend everything until it’s perfectly smooth. I prefer an immersion stick because then I don’t have to wash my blender. The final step is to stir in coconut milk which adds even more luxurious, creamy texture to the soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash, peeled and seeds removed
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon corander
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup canned light coconut milk, full fat can also be used
- Chopped cilantro and cashews for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add in the diced onion and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add in the butternut squash and sauté another 3 minutes. Add in the cauliflower and all the spices and stir to combine.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and stir everything together. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove the lid and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer the soup until the vegetables are very tender. Turn off the heat and use an immersion stick blender to purée the soup until it's smooth. I usually purée 4-5 minutes for an extra creamy soup.
- Add in the coconut milk and purée until combined. Taste for seasoning then serve the soup topped with chopped cilantro and cashews if desired.
- The soup can be refrigerated for several days or you can freeze it for several months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g