Switch up the usual tacos for these Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Tostadas! Loaded with grilled chicken, quick sautéed vegetables and pepper Jack cheese. It’s an easy to make dinner everyone will love!
Don’t you just love a short work week? This week seemed to go by extra fast and I’m not sad about it at all. It’s shaping up to be another beautiful weekend here and even though we don’t have any big plans I’m just happy I’ll still be enjoying warm weather.
One thing I’m hoping to do is get some tacos at the new Torchy’s Tacos that opened closer to us. Early this year the first one opened in Denver and we still haven’t gone because the wait to get in is ridiculous. Hopefully this new one closer to us will be a little less crowded. In case it isn’t, I’ve got everything I need to make these Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Tostadas.
Isn’t it weird how you don’t see many tostada recipes, but you see about 10,000 taco recipes? If you think about it, they’re really the same thing except one is folded and the other is flat. Maybe the taco is a little easier to eat, but it doesn’t seem fair that it should get all the love when tostadas are equally delicious. These Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Tostadas were extra good since I was able to use some of the vegetables from my garden. My tomatoes have finally started to ripen, slowly, but at least I can pick more than one a day now. They’ve been so juicy and sweet that I can hardly resist eating them before using them in a recipe.
These Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Tostadas are so easy to make and great for a weeknight dinner. The grilled chicken is seasoned with cumin, salt and pepper, but if you already have leftover chicken in the fridge, by all means use it and save some time. The vegetables on these tostadas are ones that can be found year round; zucchini, corn, tomatoes and red onion. The vegetables are sautéed quickly and seasoned with more cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. The grilled chicken then gets added in with the veggies and loaded onto the crispy baked corn tortilla. There of course must be cheese and pepper Jack was just what these tostadas needed. Let’s show the tostada a little love this coming Tuesday and turn taco Tuesday into tostada Tuesday!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts chicken breasts
- Ground cumin, kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush or spray the corn tortillas with oil then lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
- The tostada shells can be made a couple days in advance and stored in an airtight container.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with the cumin, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on oiled grill grates and grill until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side depending on the thickness.
- Remove from the grill and let them rest for 5 minutes before cutting into bite sized pieces.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray or add a couple of teaspoons of oil.
- Add in the red onion, zucchini and spices and sauté for approximately 4 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add in the corn, cherry tomatoes and chicken and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Place the tostada shells on a baking sheets and sprinkle some of the shredded pepper Jack cheese on them.
- Top the cheese with the chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Top with a little more shredded cheese then place in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 528mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 39g