Grilled Shrimp with Romesco Sauce will be a summer favorite! Highly addicting, easy to make and perfect to serve as an appetizer or light dinner.
Hands down, shrimp is one of my favorite appetizers. It’s actually a little embarrassing how many I can eat in one sitting. Not only do I love eating them, I love serving them at parties because they’re so quick and easy to prepare. These Grilled Shrimp with Romesco Sauce will be a hit all summer long!
There are so many ways to prepare shrimp, but grilling them is my favorite way. I love the smoky, char-grilled flavor they get and they only take 2-3 minutes to cook.
Of course grilling isn’t always an option. I was actually standing out in the rain the day I grilled these shrimp. When the weather isn’t ideal or if you don’t have a grill I suggest roasting them in the oven. I’ve made this Roasted Shrimp Cocktail multiple times when our grill has been covered in snow.
There’s nothing fancy about the ingredients used for my grilled shrimp. It’s simply, olive oil, salt and pepper. The fanciness comes from the Romesco sauce.
If you’re not familiar with Romesco sauce, let me familiarize you with it. It’s a simple, but incredibly flavorful sauce or dip made from almonds, roasted red peppers, garlic, lemon juice, parsley and olive oil. Sometimes it’s thickened with bread, but I didn’t feel like it was necessary and skipped it. Doing so makes it a great option for those of you who are gluten-free.
Another flavor addition you’ll find in my Romesco sauce is the addition of smoked paprika. You’re already getting a little smoky flavor from the roasted red peppers, but the smoked paprika really takes it up a notch.
The sauce is made in the food processor, although I’m sure a high speed blender would work too. Nothing needs to be chopped, just throw it all in an purée until mostly smooth.
I’ve listed a few tips for grilling the shrimp below. Give these easy Grilled Shrimp with Romesco Sauce a try at your next party or anytime you’re in the mood for some tasty shrimp and dip!
Tips for Grilling Shrimp
- Skewer the shrimp. It takes a few minutes, but will save you the hassle of flipping them individually on the grill. You’re also far less likely to have them drop between the grill grates.
- Be sure to oil the grill grates. Shrimp will stick and tear to grill grates that aren’t properly oiled.
- Shrimp only take 3-4 minutes total (1 1/2 – 2 minutes per side) to cook, depending on the size you use. They should be lightly golden brown on both sides and opaque. Once that happens get them off the heat immediately to prevent them from overcooking and becoming rubbery.
More Easy Shrimp Appetizers
Lemon Dill Grilled Shrimp with Herb Yogurt Sauce
Grilled Shrimp with Citrus Marinade
Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites
Grilled Shrimp with Romesco Sauce
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 16 ounces roasted red peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound extra large shrimp (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined, tail on
- Olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients for the Romesco sauce in a food processor or high speed blender and purée until mostly smooth. Pour into a serving bowl and set aside.
- Heat the grill to high. Place the shrimp on a rimmed sheet pan or large plate. Pat them dry with paper towels then drizzle with olive oil and season generously with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Thread the shrimp onto skewers making sure the skewer goes through the tail and thick part of the shrimp. Oil the grill grates then place the shrimp skewers on horizontally. Grill until lightly golden brown and opaque, about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and skewers and serve with the Romesco sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 191mgSodium: 865mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 24g
Leave a Reply