This Grilled Zucchini, Ricotta and Pine Nut Pizza is perfect for an easy dinner or cut it into small pieces for a great summer appetizer!
Today we’re taking a brief pause from all things peaches and changing it up to zucchini. I’m also going to confuse you and make you think it’s Friday because today’s recipe is for Grilled Zucchini, Ricotta and Pine Nut Pizza.
I may have gone a little overboard planting zucchini in my garden this year. It started with two plants, which if you’ve ever grown zucchini, you know is pushing it. After our big hail storm in May, I was sure that the one I planted was toast, so I planted two more.
Silly me, zucchini plants are incredibly resilient and now I have three monster plants taking up half of my garden. On top of the plants themselves being huge, they are loaded with blossoms which means for the next month I’m going to have it coming out my ears. I hope the neighbors like zucchini bread, cookies, cakes and muffins because they may very well be receiving some in the near future.
Of course everyone loves the sweet stuff when it comes to zucchini. I’d love a slice of this Lemon Zucchini Bread right now. However, I enjoy coming up with savory ways to use it just as much. This Grilled Zucchini Corn Salad with Lemon Basil Vinaigrette is a favorite!
I really love grilling it in the summer, which is how it ended up on top of this pizza. I have a love hate relationship with pizza in the summer. I love it because I love pizza and I hate it because I have to be really desperate to turn my oven on when it’s 90+ degrees outside. The solution, grill your pizza!
Grilling pizza, especially this Zucchini, Ricotta and Pine Nut Pizza is super easy and the char from the grill gives it great flavor. The key to making a great grilled pizza is to make sure you have everything ready before putting the dough on the grill.
Another important thing to remember is, make sure your grill grates are well oiled and that you spray or brush oil on the dough before placing it on the grates. There’s no point in grilling a pizza if the crust gets stuck to the grill.
Instead of loading this pizza up with cheese that has to be melted, I decided to go with ricotta and a little parmesan that would warm up from the hot crust, but not melt.Topped with the grilled planks of zucchini and toasted pine nuts, it’s perfect for an easy dinner or cut it into small pieces for a great summer appetizer!
More Pizza Recipes
- 3/4 pound pizza dough
- 3/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 medium sized zucchini
- 2 tablespoons toastes pine nuts
- Preheat grill to high heat and oil the grill grates well, mine was about 500 degrees.
- Divide the pizza dough in half and roll out into oblong shaped crusts.
- Place the rolled out dough onto a greased baking sheet and spray or brush the tops of the crust with more oil.
- In a bowl whisk together the ricotta, pesto, lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper, set aside.
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise into approximately 1/4 inch planks.
- Brush the zucchini on both sides with oil and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Place the zucchini on the prepared grill and grill for approximately 2 minutes per side or until grill marks appear.
- Remove the zucchini from the grill onto a plate and oil the grates again.
- Place the rolled out pizza dough onto the grill and cover with the lid.
- Grill the crust for approximately 1-2 minutes or until it bubbles up and there are grill marks on the bottom.
- Flip the crusts over and grill for another 2 minutes or until browned and blistered on the other side.
- Remove from the grill and spread half of the ricotta mixture on top of each crust.
- Lay equal amounts of the zucchini on top of the ricotta and top with the shredded parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve immediately.
Have the ricotta mixture, shredded parmesan, and toasted pine nuts close by so that you can assemble the pizza immediately when removed from the grill.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 312mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g