This Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole will be a wonderful addition to your brunch table. It’s easy to make and can even be prepped the night before so all you have to do is bake it in the morning!
Last week I made this sweet Cranberry Apple French Toast Casserole that’s a must for Christmas morning. Today I’m sharing the recipe for this Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole to serve along with it! If you choose to make both casseroles they can conveniently bake together at the same time.
Egg casseroles are a tradition in our house on Christmas morning. My mom used to make this Egg Casserole with Mushroom and Canadian Bacon. Last Christmas I made this Spinach, Bacon and Cheese Strata, which is amazing! However, since I’m serving the french toast casserole this Christmas I decided to go with a savory egg dish that didn’t use more bread.
What Do I Need to Make the Egg Casserole?
- Red bell pepper or whatever color you prefer
- Sweet Potato
- Green onion
- Paprika and hot sauce (optional)
- Colby Jack or cheddar cheese
To make this egg casserole, start by sautéing the bacon in a large skillet. Since the bacon doesn’t need to be in strips, I like to cut it up with kitchen scissors or a knife before adding it to the skillet. This saves me the step of chopping after it’s cooked, plus it fits better and cooks more evenly in the skillet.
When the bacon is cooked, scoop it out and let it drain on paper towels. Pour all of the bacon grease except for a tablespoon into a small bowl, you can discard it after it cools. Add the onion and pepper to the skillet and sauté for a couple minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper and add in the garlic, sautéing for another minute.
Let the vegetables cool while you grate the sweet potato and make the egg mixture. I peeled the skin off my sweet potato and used the large holes on a box grater to grate it. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, paprika, hot sauce, sliced green onions and shredded cheese. Pour the onion and pepper mixture along with the sweet potato in with the eggs. Stir everything together and pour it into a 9×13 casserole dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
Can I Make This the Night Before?
Yes. This is a great casserole to make the night before. In the morning be sure to allow 30-60 minutes for the casserole to come to room temperature before baking it in the oven.
The Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole takes approximately 40 minutes to bake or until the center is set and doesn’t jiggle anymore. If you find that it’s getting too brown on top cover it loosely with a piece of foil. I did this during the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes before serving. I suggest serving it with either the Cranberry Apple French Toast Casserole that I mentioned earlier, Cranberry Orange Muffins or this Cranberry Maple Pecan Baked Oatmeal. And don’t forget the Cranberry Orange Mimosas! The casserole also reheats well and is excellent for breakfast or lunch the next day.
More Egg Breakfast Recipes
Sheet Pan Spinach Tomato Ricotta Frittata
Crustless Sausage, Kale and Ricotta Quiche
Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked (reserve one tablespoon of bacon grease)
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- 9 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup low fat milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack or cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded sweet potato, approximately 1 large sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon until crisp then remove it onto a paper towel lined plate and let the excess grease drain off of it. Pour all of the bacon grease except for 1 tablespoon into a bowl and let it cool before discarding it. Once the bacon has cooled chop it into bite sized pieces.
- Add the yellow onion and red bell pepper to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add in the garlic. Sauté another minute then remove the skillet from the heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, paprika, salt and pepper and hot sauce until well combined. Add in the shredded sweet potato, cheese, green onion and bacon and stir everything together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes or until the center is set. If the casserole is getting too brown on top, cover it loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes of baking. Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes before serving.
The casserole may be made the night before and baked in the morning. Once removed from the refrigerator, allow it to come to room temperature for 30-60 minutes before baking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 315mgSodium: 548mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g
Can I freeze this casserole for a easy to go breakfast?
Yes. Be sure to cool it completely before freezing and store in an airtight container.