Moroccan Roasted Carrots with Goat Cheese, Pistachios and Golden Raisins. A sweet, earthy, slightly spicy side dish that’s loaded with texture and flavor!
I’ve really been getting into trying new spice combinations when I roast my vegetables. My latest and greatest discovery were these Moroccan Roasted Carrots with Goat Cheese, Pistachios and Golden Raisins. It’s the perfect combination of sweet, spicy, earthy and tangy flavors.
I consider a recipe to be great and worthy of sharing with all of you when I can barely leave it alone long enough to take photos before diving in. That’s totally what happened with these carrots. While I was plating them I would put one on the plate and the next one in my mouth. I always make extra when it comes to roasted vegetables because I know at least one serving will be inhaled before making it to the final dish.
If you aren’t familiar with Moroccan spices they’re earthy, sweet and a little spicy. A common blend may include cumin, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, allspice, coriander, black pepper and cayenne. However, there are lots of variations which may include more or less spices. For your sake I stuck with five spices, although the next time I make them I may add in a couple more.
Cumin, paprika, cinnamon, turmeric and cayenne were the spices I chose to use on my Moroccan Roasted Carrots. It gives them a nice balance or earthy, slightly spicy and warm sweetness. After the carrots have roasted in the spice blend and made the whole house smell amazing, I immediately squeezed fresh lemon juice on top and drizzled them with honey. The lemon juice brightens up the flavor and the honey adds just the right amount of sweetness.
To finish off this flavor packed side dish I plated the carrots with crumbled goat cheese, chopped pistachios and golden raisins. It covered all the texture elements I wanted, crunchy, creamy and chewy. This is a great side dish to have alongside your favorite protein or you can add it to the top of a salad or whole grain such as farro.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 400° F. and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Combine all of the spices in a small bowl.
- Place the cut carrots onto the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle on the spice mix and season with salt and pepper. Toss everything together with your hands until coated, then spread them out into a single layer. Place on the middle rack of the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes or until tender, tossing halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and squeeze lemon juice over the tops. Drizzle with honey and toss the carrots to coat them. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Place the carrots on a serving platter then add the goat cheese, pistachios and golden raisins. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 7mg Fiber: 5g Sugar: 11g Protein: 6g