Fragrant, sweet, warmly spiced Garam Masala and Honey Roasted Carrots are the perfect side dish to serve with dinner. Topped with chopped pistachios and fresh mint, they’re sure to be your new favorite way to eat carrots!
These Garam Masala and Honey Roasted Carrots are my new favorite way to make carrots! Garam masala isn’t a spice I normally have on hand (that will no longer be the case), but after seeing a similar recipe on a cooking show and wishing I could have a bite, I knew I had to go buy some.
If you aren’t familiar with garam masala it’s a spice blend often used in Indian cuisine. There are countless variations of the spice blend, but some of the common spices you’ll find in it are; cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, white and/or black pepper, coriander, cloves, mace and bay leaves. The flavor is sweet from the cinnamon, lemony from the coriander and cardamom, earthy from the cumin and a little spice from the pepper. It’s a perfect pairing to combine with sweet honey and carrots.
These Garam Masala and Honey Roasted Carrots couldn’t be easier to make. Honey, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and of course the garam masala are all whisked together then poured over the carrots. I used rainbow carrots because they’re my favorite, but regular carrots work just fine. The carrots are tossed in the sticky, fragrant mixture until they’re coated, then roasted in the oven until they’re tender, but not mushy.
Besides the flavor, the second best thing about these carrots is the way they smell while they are roasting. Before serving the carrots top them with chopped pistachios and mint. The pistachios add a nice crunch to the side dish and the mint has a wonderful fresh flavor to go with the sweet spice of the carrots.
The carrots would make a nice side dish alongside some chicken and your favorite whole grain. On the second day, I chopped up the leftovers and added them to my salad. However you decide to serve them, they’re sure to be your new favorite way to eat carrots. Enjoy!
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise if large
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh mint leaves and chopped pistachios for topping
- Preheat oven to 425° F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the honey, oil, garlic, garam masala, salt and pepper. Toss the carrots in the mixture until they're coated then place them in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper.
- Roast the carrots for approximately 20 minutes or until they are tender, but not mushy. Rotate the baking sheet halfway through the cooking time.
- Place the carrots on a serving plate and top them with chopped pistachios and mint.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Fiber: 4g Sugar: 14g Protein: 1g