Swap tomatoes for peaches and make these Peach Caprese Burgers! Juicy turkey burgers flavored with pesto and topped with fresh mozzarella, grilled peaches, fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. You’ll love these sweet and savory summer burgers!
Caprese and summer are synonymous with each other. Fresh, juicy tomatoes, basil and thick slabs of fresh mozzarella cheese. Honestly I could live off of this salad all summer long.
When I want something a little different from the traditional caprese salad I make my peach tomato caprese salad. When I want a caprese inspired dish that works as a main dish for dinner, I make these caprese chicken burgers. Then, when I want a to really put a unique spin on the whole thing, I make these Peach Caprese Burgers!
Ingredients For Peach Caprese Burgers
- ground turkey
- balsamic vinegar
- garlic and onion powder
- fresh mozzarella
- fresh basil
- hamburger buns
- balsamic glaze
How To Make Peach Caprese Burgers
Start by cutting the peaches into about 1/2 thick slices, no need to peel the peaches. You don’t want them to be too thin or they’ll be more likely to fall apart on the grill. Next, cut the ball of fresh mozzarella into similarly thick slices, about 1/4 – 1/2 inch. I usually get 8 slices from one ball of fresh mozzarella.
In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, pesto, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. The best way to combine this meat mixture is with your hands. Everything will incorporate better and you’ll be less likely to over-mix the meat.
Divide the burger mix into four equal size balls and then shape them into patties. To keep the meat from sticking to the plate or whatever you’re placing it on, line it with a piece of parchment paper. I like to refrigerate the turkey burgers while the grill pre-heats. This will firm up the meat and make it easier to transfer onto the grill.
On well oiled grill grates, add the turkey burgers and peach slices. Grill the peaches for about 2-3 minutes and then flip them over and grill another 2-3 minutes or until they have grill marks and are tender, but not falling apart. Remove them from the grill and onto a plate.
Grill the turkey burgers for about 4 minutes then flip them over. Add the slices of mozzarella to the top and then grill another 4 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165° F. If you like your burger buns to be toasted add them to the grill after you flip the burgers and add the mozzarella cheese.
Remove the burgers from the grill onto the buns and top them with the grilled peaches, chopped or torn basil leaves, a drizzle of balsamic glaze and an extra dollop of pesto.
How To Keep Turkey Burgers From Drying Out
- Skip the 99% lean ground turkey and use either 93/7 or 85/15. I almost always opt to use 93/7 in my recipes.
- Add some healthy fat to the meat such as olive oil or avocado oil. Usually a tablespoon per pound of meat will do the trick. In the case of these pesto turkey burgers, the pesto is providing the additional fat component.
- If you don’t want to add additional fat, add sautéed onion or grate it and add it into the turkey mixture raw.
- Don’t over cook them! Turkey burgers are notorious for drying out on the grill. The best way to ensure that they don’t is to use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should be 165° F. Ground turkey and ground chicken burgers aren’t like ground beef burgers. You can’t serve medium-rare or medium. It needs to be completely cooked through, but that doesn’t mean overcooked. Use your meat thermometer!
More Turkey Burger Recipes
- Teriyaki Turkey Burgers with Grilled Pineapple and Onions
- Pesto Zucchini Turkey Burgers
- Green Chile Turkey Burgers with Guacamole and Pickled Red Onions
- Apple Cheddar Turkey Burgers
- Greek Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce and Greek Tomato Salad
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, preferably 93/7%
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 peaches, sliced into 1/4-1/2 inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Balsamic glaze and extra pesto for toppings
- 4 buns
- In a large bowl add the ground turkey, pesto, balsamic vinegar, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper. Use your hands to combine the ingredients. Divide the meat mixture into four equal balls and shape them into patties. Place the burgers on a parchment paper lined plate so they're easier to remove and refrigerate while you prep the toppings and preheat the grill.
- Preheat the grill to 400° F. and spray the grates with cooking oil. Place the sliced peaches and burger patties onto the grill. Grill the peaches for about 2 minutes and then flip them over and grill another 2 minutes. Remove them from the grill and onto a plate.
- Grill the turkey burgers for 5-6 minutes and then flip them over. Top with the slices of mozzarella cheese and grill another 5 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165° F. and the cheese is melted. During the last minute of grilling, add the buns onto the grates and grill until their golden and toasted.
- Place the burgers on the bottom half of the buns. Top with a couple of the sliced peaches, chopped basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze and pesto.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 506mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 48g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.