Peanut Butter Apple Energy Bites taste just like your favorite childhood snack! Gluten-free, great for refueling after a workout and they have a vegan option as well.
Well, it finally happened. I knew the day would eventually come, I just had no idea when. I was out running a few mornings ago when all of the sudden a bug launched itself into my mouth! I’ve had a couple find their way in before and I’ve been able to quickly spit them out, but this sucker was on a suicide mission. He hit the back of my throat and was down the pipe before I could even cough.
After several gagging/coughing/hacking attempts to remove this beast from my body I realized it was too late and I had just eaten my first bug. Insert the green barf face emoji right here. Every time I thought about it that day I kept thinking I could feel it stuck down in my throat and it made my stomach turn a little.
I guess I’ve been lucky to have gone this long without an incident, but I’d prefer that it not happen again. I’ll stick to food that I put in my mouth, like these Peanut Butter Apple Energy Bites.
I made these new energy bites last week because I knew we were going to need a snack to take with us on our Labor Day hike. I hate to admit it, but I am getting just a little excited to start using apples in recipes again. I’m not ready for the cold to return, but I do enjoy all the other aspects of fall.
Peanut butter and apples were one of my favorite childhood snacks. I thought it would be fun to take that classic combo and turn it into what is now my favorite snack, energy bites!
These peanut butter apple energy bites don’t require any fancy equipment, just a couple of bowls. They’re gluten-free and can easily be made vegan friendly by subbing the honey with maple syrup. I like to have one of these when I get back from the gym, after a run or I bring a couple when I go hiking. They’re also kid friendly and make a great after school snack.
More Energy Bites
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 7 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup finely chopped unsweetened dried apples
- In a medium sized bowl stir together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a small microwave safe bowl heat the peanut butter, honey and 1 tablespoon of water for about 15 seconds or until just warm. Remove from the microwave, add in the vanilla and stir everything together until smooth. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir until well combined. Stir in the dried apples. If needed add in the extra tablespoon of water.
- Roll the mixture into small balls, about 1 tablespoon per ball. Place in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or freeze for a couple months.
- Start with 1 tablespoon of water and if the mixture is too dry add another tablespoon.
- Be sure to use the chewy dried apples and not freeze dried.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 34mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g