These Blueberry Almond Energy Bites are a healthy one bite snack, perfect for eating before or after a workout!
I was finally able to wear shorts on my run on Sunday and it was glorious! After 5 months of being bundled and layered in warm clothes to keep myself from freezing, putting on my shorts again felt so good. It’s always weird wearing shorts again after months of not, you kind of feel a little naked. Of course it’s supposed to be cooler and rainy for the next couple days, so I’ll be back in capris or tights, but my one day of shorts sure did feel good!
Another great thing that happened last week was I came up with a new energy bite for snacking on after my run and before I go to the gym. These Blueberry Almond Energy Bites are the new flavor and two of my favorite flavors combined together.
I’ve been really bad lately about eating something after I run and before I head to the gym. I know it’s important to eat a little something within 20 minutes or so after running to help with muscle recovery, but I’m always in such a hurry to get to the gym and beat the crowd that I often skip that step. Well, I decided it was time to get back on track so coming up with a new energy bite was the perfect solution.
I love energy bites because, they are portable, bite sized and easy to pop in my mouth while I drive to the gym. The blueberry almond energy bites are the perfect combination of carbs and protein. The oats and dried blueberries give me the carbs I need for energy while the almonds and almond butter add protein to help repair the muscles I just broke down while running. If you’re like me and don’t have time or want to eat a full breakfast between workouts or before a workout, then these blueberry almond energy bites are a great solution!
More Energy Bites
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/3 cup raw almonds, finely chopped with a knife or pulsed in a food processor or blender
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In a small microwave safe bowl add the almond butter and agave and microwave until warm and slightly runny, about 15-30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave, add in the almond extract and whisk together until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and stir together until combined.
- Add a little water to the bowl you microwaved the almond butter and agave in.
- Use a 2 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon cookie scoop or measuring spoons to scoop out the energy bite mixture.
- Wet your hands with a little water before forming into balls.
- Place the completed energy bites in an air tight container in a single layer or with parchment paper between each layer.
- Store them in the refrigerator or freezer.
I store my energy bites in the freezer then let them sit out on the counter for a minute or two before eating so that the dried blueberries soften.