Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip is a must for game day or your next party! All the flavor of buffalo wings in a creamy, cheesy, and lightened up dip!
If you love this dip, try my skinny green chile chicken enchilada dip!
This post has been updated since it was originally published on 1/11/2015
Why you’ll love it
Lightened up without sacrificing flavor – This buffalo dip may use a couple lighter ingredients, but I promise you won’t notice the difference.
Great for parties, game day, and the Super Bowl – This is one of those highly addicting cheesy dip recipes that people can’t leave alone. The chance of there being leftovers is between slim and none!
Easy to make – This cheesy dip is so easy to throw together, especially if you have chicken in the fridge that’s already been cooked or use rotisserie chicken.
- Cream cheese – Make sure it’s softened and at room temperature before you start making the dip. I used low fat cream cheese sometimes labeled as neufchâtel cheese.
- Plain Greek yogurt – Instead of sour cream or mayonnaise, Greek yogurt is a great way to lighten up creamy dips and a good way to sneak in some protein.
- Buffalo sauce – Use your favorite brand and heat level. I’ve been loving this Noble Made medium buffalo sauce.
- Green onions – Adds a nice onion flavor without being overpowering.
- Garlic and onion powder
- Mozzarella cheese – block style mozzarella is best, you don’t want the extra moisture from fresh. Part skim or full fat mozzarella can be used.
- Blue cheese – A cheese or dressing commonly served with hot wings or recipe using buffalo sauce. Tangy, funky, and tastes great with the spicy hot sauce.
- Chicken – Shredded cooked chicken breasts are used in this recipe, however you could use thigh meat as well.
How to make buffalo chicken dip
Combine dip ingredients – Before you start making the dip make sure that the cream cheese and Greek yogurt are at room temperature so that the mix together well.
Add the cream cheese, yogurt, buffalo sauce, dried spices, and green onions to a bowl. Whisk them together until well combined. Add in half of the mozzarella, blue cheese crumbles, and all of the shredded chicken. Fold them in with a rubber spatula.
Bake – Spray a 9 or 10 inch seasoned cast iron skillet with cooking oil. You can also use a similar size glass or ceramic baking dish or pie plate. Pour in the dip and top with the remaining cheese. Bake in a preheated 350° F. oven for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Skinny buffalo chicken dip FAQ:
Yes. Feel free to use full fat cream cheese and full fat Greek yogurt in this recipe.
I don’t recommend using fat free products for baked dips. Non-fat Greek yogurt will likely curdle or separate when it bakes and fat free cream cheese tends to have an odd texture and flavor.
No. You can use a similar size casserole dish, an 8×8 glass or ceramic baking dish, or even a pie plate. I like the cast iron because it holds heat well and will keep the dip warm for quite a while, but it isn’t necessary.
If you are using 2% or full fat Greek yogurt and the ingredients are at room temperature and not ice cold out of the refrigerator when the dip goes into the oven, then it shouldn’t curdle or separate.
Yes. You’ll want to use a slightly larger baking dish or skillet or two of the smaller sized dishes. The baking time will remain the same.
Make Ahead Tips
The dip can be made 1-2 days in advance. Before baking the dip, stir it again to combine everything and let it come to room temperature. I recommend letting it sit out on the counter for an hour.
Don’t make the dip ahead and let it sit in the cast iron skillet, as the skillet might rust.
- If you don’t like blue cheese swap it with cheddar cheese or additional mozzarella.
- Use a Monterey Jack cheese instead of mozzarella or a combination of both.
What to serve with buffalo dip
- Fresh veggies such as carrots, celery, or peppers.
- Chips, crackers, or crostini for something more substantial.
- If you happen to have leftovers, use it as a filling for these buffalo chicken stuffed peppers.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- Mexican Corn and Green Chile Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Phyllo Cups
- Buffalo Potatoes
- Green Chile Guacamole
Did you make this skinny buffalo chicken dip? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip
All the flavor of buffalo wings in a creamy, cheesy, and lightened up dip!
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup plain full fat or 2% Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce, such as Noble Made or Frank's
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 2 cups cooked and shredded boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Carrots, celery, and crackers for serving
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and spray and 8x8 baking dish or 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl whisk together the softened cream cheese, yogurt, buffalo sauce, green onions, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold in the chicken, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup of the blue cheese crumbles.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish or cast iron skillet and top with the remaining mozzarella and blue cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and top with the extra blue cheese crumbles, green onions, and buffalo sauce if desired. Serve immediately with carrots, celery, or crackers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 850mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g
Thanks for sharing this Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip , super excited to make this recipe .
Enjoy, I hope you like it!
Kristi Rimkus says
Your dip looks amazing, and I completely agree that most people can’t tell the difference between full fat and more slender versions of most recipes.
Thanks Kristi! I’m always using lower fat options and no one has been able to detect the swaps!
Julie | This Gal Cooks says
I’m totally like you. I cannot keep my hands off dips. I don’t even need anything to dip into them. I’ll eat them with a spoon, right from the serving dish. I’m a buffalo chicken loving gal so I’m totally digging this skinny version, Danae!
Haha! I’m the same way Julie, just hand me a spoon that’s all I need for my dips!
Kim (Feed me, Seymour) says
I adore buffalo chicken dip but never the calories that come along with it. So excited for this skinny version!
Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats says
Buffalo dip is my WEAKNESS. I love that you put Greek yogurt in it, we always have that on hand!
Thanks Ally! I use Greek yogurt so much that I have to buy it in bulk!
Cookin Canuck says
Now that’s the way to do Super Bowl food! Tasty, but skinny…love it!
Thanks Dara! :-)
I love that this is skinny!! Buffalo dip is a favorite around here.
Thanks Zainab! My husband and I are both buffalo fans around here and I can’t get enough dip, so skinny was totally necessary!
I think Hubby has a new dish for Game Day!
Awesome Lori! I hope he loves it, mine sure did!