This easy to make fall spiced slow cooker apple pear butter is a recipe even the most novice cook can make. This versatile butter is rich in flavor and will have people thinking you spent hours making it!
Does anyone else feel like apples and pumpkins take center stage in fall and the poor old pear is often forgotten? I know there are a lot of people that don’t care much for pears and if it’s an over or underripe one, I’m right there with them.
But then there’s that moment when you bite into a perfectly ripe and juicy pear and it makes me wonder why people don’t use them more.
This fall I want to do my part in making sure that the often underused pear isn’t pushed to the side and I’m starting by adding it to this easy to make and wonderfully flavored Slow Cooker Apple Pear Butter.
Sure I could have just made apple butter, but everyone does that. I wanted to step up my butter game by adding in sweet and juicy pears. If you’ve never made a fruit butter like this in your slow cooker it’s something you should really try this fall.
There’s really nothing to it and even the most novice cook can handle this recipe. The great part is, the flavor that’s produced by slowly cooking down the apples and pears with warm spices, is rich and will fool people into thinking you are a master cook!
How To Make Slow Cooker Apple Pear Butter
To make the apple pear butter all you need to do is peel your apples and pears, then core them and cut them into large cubes. Add the fruit to the slow cooker along with some water, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and vanilla extract.
Cover it with the lid and set it to low, letting it cook for about 6 hours or until the apples and pears are soft and broken down.
Once the fruit is broken down use an immersion stick blender or regular blender to process the fruit until it is smooth. As the fruit cools it will continue to thicken and you will be left with a perfectly sweet, fall spiced apple pear butter.
Ways To Use Apple Pear Butter
- Spread it over toast, english muffins, or these pear ginger muffins.
- Add it on top of a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Use it as a topping for pancakes or waffles.
- Serve it alongside or on top of pork chops.
- Swirl it into Greek yogurt or oatmeal.
More Apple and Pear Recipes
- Pear Almond Steel Cut Baked Oatmeal
- Pear, Prosciutto, and Gorgonzola Pizza
- Autumn Apple and Pear Salad
- Cranberry Apple Quinoa Salad
- Pear Ginger Smoothie
Slow Cooker Apple Pear Butter
- 2 pounds apples (5-6 apples), I used Galas, Golden Delicious, and Granny Smith, peeled, cored and cut into about 1 inch chunks
- 1 pound ripe pears (3-4), I used Bartlett, peeled, cored, and cut into about 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all of the ingredients in a slow cooker, then stir to coat them evenly in the spices.
- Cover the slow cooker and set it to low.
- Cook the apples and pears for about 6 hours stirring them a couple times and mashing the fruit with the back of a spoon.
- When the fruit is very soft and the mixture has thickened, use an immersion stick blender or regular blender to puree the fruit until it is smooth.
- Cool the butter before adding it to jars or an airtight container to store in the refrigerator or freezer. If you choose to can the apple pear butter follow proper instructions to prevent contamination.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 25mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 0g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.
Does this recipe call for 3 pounds of pears
Hi Linda. The recipe uses 2 pounds of apples and 1 pound of pears.
I love the idea of adding pear to apple butter! Genius! Your house must have smelt awesome…
My house did smell awesome Johlene, thank you!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting says
This makes me want to take my slow cooker out!
Dust it off and plug her in Julianne, you’ll love the apple pear butter! :-)
We just went apple picking so I have a ton of apples to use. I love pears and never thought to pair them in an apple pear butter–love the idea!
Thanks Julia! I have yet to go apple picking, but I really want to. Nothing says fall like heading to an orchard to pick your own apples!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
I agree, pears need more attention! Love that you make this in the slow cooker!
Glad I’m not the only one who thinks pears need more attention! Thanks Jessica!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life says
I totally agree about pears getting the shaft at fall. I love that you paired the pears and apples in this creamy butter! It looks amazing!
Thanks Jocelyn! The pears were a great addition to the usual apple butter. :-)
I totally agree that pears are overlooked! Plus, your food styling is spot on!!!
Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness says
Oh my gosh, I can practically SMELL my house already while this is cooking! I am loving how easy this is, and I could just snack on it all day long! Pinned!
Thanks Taylor! It does make the house smell wonderful!
Michelle @ A Dish of Daily Life says
I do like pears, but you’re right, they are often forgotten…by myself as well. I tend to put them in salads when I think of it. I love your recipe…can’t wait to try it!
Thanks Michelle! I love adding pears to salads too. :-)