If you love caprese salad then you’ll love this sweet and savory Strawberry Caprese Salad! Sweet juicy strawberries, slices of fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves all drizzle with pesto vinaigrette and balsamic glaze. It’s the perfect summer salad or appetizer!
If you love this caprese salad then you have to try my peach tomato caprese salad!
Caprese salads are a staple in the summer. They go great with whatever meat you’re grilling for dinner, alongside your favorite pasta recipe (this grillled chicken and asparagus pesto pasta is one of mine), or serve it as an appetizer.
Caprese salads are traditionally made with tomatoes, slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. You’ll often find them drizzled with balsamic vinegar or olive oil. These mini caprese cups are a fun riff on the salad and great for parties.
This strawberry caprese salad is a sweeter version of it’s traditional counterpart and a great way to use strawberries during their peak summer season.
- Strawberries – Look for strawberries that are a vibrant red color with no white or green on them. You want the sweetest, juiciest strawberries you can find.
- Mozzarella – Fresh mozzarella to be exact. Fresh mozzarella has a higher moisture content than block mozzarella, a softer texture, and a creamier taste.
- Basil – Fresh basil leaves add a sweet, slightly anise flavor to the salad that pairs beautifully with the sweet strawberries.
- Pesto – Adds a salty, herbaceous element to the salad.
- Lemon – The acidity for the pesto vinaigrette.
- Honey – The sweetener for the vinaigrette.
- Balsamic glaze – Used to drizzle on top of the caprese. Adds a rich, sweet, tart flavor to the salad.
How to make strawberry caprese salad
Start by making the pesto vinaigrette. Combine the pesto, (my favorite brand is DeLallo), fresh squeeze lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper in a jar or glass measuring cup. Whisk or shake until well combined.
Wash and hull the strawberries. Slice them along with the fresh mozzarella into approximately 1/4 inch thick slices.
On a plate or shallow serving platter, layer alternating slices of strawberries and mozzarella, adding a basil leaf between each. Repeat until you’ve used all the ingredients.
Drizzle some of the pesto vinaigrette over the top of the salad and finish it with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Can caprese salad be made ahead of time?
You can make the vinaigrette and slice the strawberries and mozzarella ahead of time, but I would wait to assemble the salad just before serving it. If you assemble it too far in advance the strawberry juice will bleed onto the mozzarella and make it pink.
How long will caprese salad keep?
This salad is best eaten the day it’s made. The strawberries will bleed onto the mozzarella and the moisture from the cheese will soften them. The basil will also likely discolor after a day in the fridge. That being said, appearances aside, it will still taste fine the day after it’s made.
What to serve with strawberry caprese salad
I love serving this strawberry caprese salad with grilled chicken, steak, or fish. It’s delicious with this grilled bruschetta chicken and If you have a bunch of basil in your garden, try serving it with this grilled chicken with basil dressing.
It would also be a great side dish to go alongside pizza like this grilled sausage and peppers pizza.
More recipes using strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced and cut in half
- Fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the ingredients for the pesto vinaigrette in a small bowl and whisk together.
- On a plate or serving platter, layer alternating slices of strawberries and fresh mozzarella, adding a basil leaf between each. Continue layering until you've used all of the ingredients.
- Spoon some of the vinaigrette over the top of the salad and drizzle on balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 376mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 14g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.