This Sweet Potato and Kale Salad is bursting with flavor and texture! Roasted sweet potatoes, apples, goat cheese, dried cranberries, and pepitas are tossed together in a creamy tahini maple dressing. This vegetarian salad is great for dinner or lunch and can be customized by adding your favorite protein.
Looking for another amazing kale salad? Try this apple and kale salad!
Why you’ll love it
Hearty salad – This kale salad it packed with hearty ingredients. Roasted sweet potatoes, apples, goat cheese, dried cranberries, and pepitas all add texture, flavor, and make this far from a skimpy salad.
Tahini dressing – I’m obsessed with this dressing. It’s creamy, nutty, a touch sweet from the maple syrup and pairs perfectly with the roasted sweet potatoes and kale.
Hold up well – Thanks to the heartiness of the kale and the low moisture of the other ingredients, this is a salad that keeps well for several days in the refrigerator. It’s a great salad to meal prep for lunches.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Kale – red or green curly kale
- Sweet potato – Depending on the size you’ll need one or two.
- Goat cheese – Tangy, creamy, and pairs well with the sweetness of the dried cranberries and sweet potato.
- Dried cranberries
- Pepitas – Sometimes labeled as pumpkin seeds.
- Apple – I use a Granny Smith because I liked how the tart flavor contrasted with the sweet and savory elements of the salad.
- Tahini – My favorite brand is Soom Foods.
- Maple syrup
- Apple cider vinegar – fresh lemon juice can be used as an alternative.
- Dijon mustard
How to make roasted sweet potato and kale salad
Roast the sweet potatoes – Start by roasting the sweet potatoes as this is the part that will take the longest. Cut the sweet potato into cubes, peeling it is your choice. Place them on a sheet pan and toss together in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 400° F. for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
Make the tahini dressing – Combine the tahini, dijon, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper, and cold water in a jar. Screw on the lid and shake vigorously until it’s well combined. You may need to add additional water to get it to the consistency you like.
Massage the kale – Massaging the kale for this salad will give it a softer more palatable texture. Just add a couple pinches of salt and squeeze in about a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, then use your hands to massage it. Do this for about 2-3 minutes. The kale should be darker green in color and softer.
Assemble the salad – Add the apple, roasted butternut squash, dried cranberries, pepitas, and goat cheese to the kale. Top the salad with some of the tahini maple dressing or serve it on the side.
Make ahead and storage
The sweet potatoes can be roasted 2-3 days in advance. I usually roast a bunch of sweet potatoes on Sunday to use throughout the week to use in salads or as a quick side dish.
The tahini dressing can also be made 2-3 days in advance and keeps for a week in the fridge.
Once made, the salad itself will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. I recommend not adding the dressing to the salad until you’re ready to eat it.
What can I substitute goat cheese for?
I recommend using feta if you don’t like goat cheese. You can also omit the cheese if you prefer or need to make this salad vegan.
Can I use a different green?
Yes. If you aren’t a fan of kale use spinach as an alternative. You can also used mixed greens, however they aren’t as sturdy as kale and spinach and will likely wilt faster.
What alternative dressing can I use?
While I highly recommend trying the tahini maple dressing, you could use this maple mustard dipping sauce that I made to go with these everything bagel chicken tenders. It’s sweet and tangy and would pair well with the ingredients in this salad.
What to serve with it
- Baked lemon pepper chicken
- Grilled chicken, steak, pork, or fish
- Whole wheat dinner rolls or crusty artisan style bread
- Chicken and wild rice soup
More salads you’ll love
Did you make this Sweet Potato and Kale Salad? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
Sweet Potato and Kale Salad
This Sweet Potato and Kale Salad is bursting with flavor and texture! Serve it with the tahini maple dressing for a healthy dinner or lunch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oill
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato
- 2 bunches of kale
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted pepitas
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
Maple Tahini Dressing
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper and place the cubed sweet potatoes on it. Drizzle the olive oil over them and season with salt and pepper. Toss together with your hands and then spread them into a single layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the sweet potatoes roast, combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a jar with a lid. Shake vigorously until combined. Taste for seasoning and consistency and if needed add an extra tablespoon of water to thin out the dressing.
- Add the chopped kale to a serving bowl and sprinkle on a couple pinches of salt and a tablespoon of lemon juice (optional). Use your hands to massage the kale until it turns dark green and softens.
- When the sweet potato is done roasting add it to the kale along with the sliced apple, pepitas, cranberries, and goat cheese. Serve the salad with the dressing drizzled on top or on the side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 233mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 8gSugar: 25gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.
Leave a Reply