These flavorful Indian spiced Tandoori Chicken Skewers are a must for summer grilling! The yogurt marinated chicken is so tender and goes perfectly with the cilantro yogurt sauce for dipping.
If you love Indian food then these Tandoori Chicken Skewers are a must make! One of my favorite things about Indian food is the amazing combination of spices that are used.
Spices such as garam masala, curry, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, and red chili powder give dishes warm, earthy, spicy, peppery, and sweet flavors all in one bite.
My first experience making tandoori chicken was when I made these Tandoor Chicken Naan Flatbreads. They’re perfect for dinner or an appetizer.
Since I’m all about chicken skewers, especially in the summer when I want to keep the heat out of the kitchen, I knew I had to come up with a version of grilled tandoori chicken.
What Is Tandoori Chicken?
Traditionally, tandoori chicken is marinated in yogurt and spices and then roasted in a cylindrical clay oven called a tandoor. The dish originated in India and is quite popular in many areas of the world. It can be eaten as an appetizer or main dish and is often served with naan.
Ingredients For Tandoori Chicken Skewers
Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs will work for these chicken skewers.
Plain Greek Yogurt – For both the marinade and the cilantro yogurt sauce I recommend using either low fat or full fat Greek yogurt.
Olive Oil – The olive oil in the marinade helps to tenderize the chicken.
Lemon – Adds an acidic component to the marinade and a fresh flavor to the sauce. Use fresh lemon juice over bottled if possible.
Garlic – I always recommend grating garlic with a microplane zester. This way it incorporates fully into whatever you’re making and you don’t bite into any chunks.
Ginger – Fresh ginger adds a spicy, peppery, fresh bite to the marinade. You can use ground ginger for a warmer, more mild flavor. You won’t need as much, I suggest 3/4 teaspoon.
Garam masala, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, turmeric, cayenne – It’s a slew of spices, but this is what gives the chicken kebabs so much flavor. The combination is warm, earthy, with just a hint of spicy flavor.
Cilantro – The key ingredient for the cilantro yogurt sauce. No need to pull the leaves off of the stems, the stems have tons of flavor in them as well.
Honey – Adds a touch of sweetness to the cilantro yogurt sauce. You can substitute it with maple syrup if you prefer.
How To Make Them
Combine the Greek yogurt, spices, garlic, ginger, olive oil, and lemon juice together in a bowl. Cut the chicken into chunks, about 1 1/2 inches in size.
Add the chicken to a freezer bag and pour in the marinade. Seal the bag pressing out the air as you do and then massage the marinade into the chicken. You can also marinate the chicken in a bowl if you prefer. Just be sure the chicken is completely covered in the marinade.
Marinate the chicken for 1-4 hours. While the chicken is marinating make the cilantro yogurt sauce.
Add the Greek yogurt, cilantro, lemon juice, cumin, honey, salt and pepper to a blender and purée until smooth. Taste it for seasoning and add additional salt if needed.
Once the chicken has marinated, preheat your grill to 400° – 425° F. Thread the chicken onto metal or wooden skewers. If using wooden skewers be sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
Place the chicken skewers onto cleaned and oiled grill grates and cover with the lid. Let the chicken cook for 4-5 minutes and then flip them over and cook another 4 minutes or until they’re cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the grill and serve the skewers with the cilantro yogurts sauce and any the suggestions listed below.
What To Serve Them With
- With cilantro rice like what’s shown in the photos. Just add a tablespoon or two of chopped cilantro to your cooked rice. Always be sure to season rice with salt while it cooks for the best flavor.
- A side of warm naan or pita bread.
- Garam Masala Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
Storage And Reheating
Tandoor chicken will keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The cilantro yogurt sauce will keep for the same amount of days. You may find that you need to give the sauce a stir before each use.
To reheat the chicken, simply pop it in the microwave and heat in 30 second intervals.
More Grilled Chicken Skewer Recipes
- Greek Lemon Chicken Skewers with Tzatziki Sauce
- Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Skewers
- Hawaiian Chicken Skewers with Cilantro Coconut Rice
- Coconut Lime Chicken Skewers
Did you make these Tandoori Chicken Skewers? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
Tandoori Chicken Skewers
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into approximately 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- 1/3 cup plain low fat or full fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated or minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup low fat or full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the yogurt, spices, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk together until combined. Place chicken into a freezer bag and pour in the yogurt mixture. Seal the bag pressing out the air as you do. Massage the marinade into the chicken. Place the chicken in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 1-4 hours.
- Preheat your grill to 400°-425° F. Thread the chicken onto metal or wooden (that have been soaked in water) skewers. Oil the grill grates and place the skewers onto them. Cook for 4-5 minutes then flip them over and grill another 4-5 minutes or until cooker through.
- While the chicken is cooking add all of the ingredients for the cilantro yogurt sauce to a blender. Purée until smooth. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Serve the chicken skewers and yogurt sauce over rice or with a side of naan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 49g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.