This delicious and simple Vegan Zucchini Bread is a great way to use a couple zucchini from your garden! Moist and loaded with cinnamon, zucchini and toasted pecans. It’s perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack!
This recipe and photos have been updated since the original post on 9/11/2014.
There doesn’t appear to be any signs of fall on the horizon here in Colorado. We’re still having consistent 90+ degree temperatures. Even with the heat, it didn’t stop me from baking a loaf of this Vegan Zucchini Bread. After all, can you even have a zucchini plant in your garden and not make a loaf of zucchini bread?
Ingredients Needed to Make Vegan Zucchini Bread
- All purpose and whole wheat flour
- baking soda, cinnamon and allspice
- coconut oil
- unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- unsweetened applesauce
- maple syrup
- pecans (optional)
How to Make Vegan Zucchini Bread
Making vegan zucchini bread is no different that making any other kind of quick bread or muffin. Vegan baking doesn’t have to be complicated and this zucchini bread proves that.
Start by preheating your oven, then spray a 9×5 metal loaf pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom of it with parchment paper. Lining the bottom will ensure that the bread doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Shred the zucchini. If the zucchini is extra wet, blot it with paper towels to remove some of the excess moisture. Next, whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and fold them together with a rubber spatula. Be careful not to overmix.
Add in the shredded zucchini and toasted pecans and fold them into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Substitutions for Non-Vegan Zucchini Bread
If making the zucchini bread vegan isn’t important to you or you don’t have the ingredients to do it, I’ve listed alternate ingredients below.
Applesauce – The applesauce is the egg replacement in this recipe. If you don’t have applesauce replace it with 2 eggs.
Maple Syrup – Maple syrup may be replaced with honey for a non-vegan zucchini bread. You will want to lower the oven temperature to 325° F. if you do this, as honey tends to brown faster.
Almond Milk – Dairy milk or any other type of non-dairy milk can be used in this recipe.
Zucchini Bread Variations
Yellow Squash (summer squash) can be used in place of zucchini.
Walnuts, dried cranberries, dark chocolate chunks or chocolate chips can be used in place of pecans. I suggest using 1/3 – 1/2 cup.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the oil, almond milk, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula just until combined. Stir in the zucchini and pecans. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and letting it cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g