This Apple, Almond and Blue Cheese Brussels Sprouts Salad is a delicious way to change up your salad routine! Savory, sweet and full of crunch, it’s the perfect side dish to serve with dinner tonight!
I don’t know about you guys but after a while I think lettuce salads start to get a little boring. I love my greens and eat them nearly every night with dinner, but every now and then I want something different. Spiralizing vegetables is extremely popular right now and I love doing that, but I don’t always feel like getting my spiralizer out or washing it, I can be very lazy. Since Brussels sprouts are in season I decided they would be the perfect alternative to lettuce and I’d only need my chefs knife to slice them.
Brussels sprouts are a member of the cabbage family so you could almost call this a slaw rather than a salad. Whatever you want to call it, this Apple, Almond and Blue Cheese Brussels Sprouts Salad is delicious! The salad is easy to make taking almost no time at all and it uses minimal ingredients and ones that aren’t hard to find. The salad is a perfect side dish alongside your favorite type of protein and I’m dreaming about making it again this summer to serve at a BBQ. I know I’m getting ahead of myself, it’s still the middle of winter although this week it’s been feeling more like spring.
The flavors of this Brussels sprouts salad are a home run. There’s the sweetness of the apple, tanginess of the blue cheese and nuttiness from the almonds. If you love crunch in your salad then this is the recipe for you!
The salad is tossed in a mildly sweet balsamic vinaigrette which helps counteract any bitterness you might not like about raw Brussels sprouts. If you plan to make this salad in advance I suggest leaving out the slivered almond and not tossing it in the vinaigrette until just before serving, about 15-30 minutes. The salad is also best eaten the day it is served because you’ll lose a lot of the crunch by the second day…although that didn’t stop me from polishing it off for lunch!
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 apple thinly sliced, I used a Pink Lady but any firm crisp variety will work
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, regular balsamic can also be used
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl gently toss together the Brussels sprouts, apple, almonds and blue cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients for the vinaigrette.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and gently toss together until everything is coated.
- Serve the salad within 30 minutes of adding the vinaigrette to prevent the ingredients from losing their crunch.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 300mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 13g Protein: 4g
More Brussels Sprout Recipes