It’s a beautiful time of year here in Arizona. The temperatures are near perfect in the 80’s and the nights cool off into the 50’s and 60’s. Everything is in bloom around here, so there is actually color and not just the usual brown. Yes friends, spring is definitely my favorite time of year. Sadly though, it is short lived, typically only lasting a couple months before the dreaded heat sets in. However, while it lasts some of my favorite ways to enjoy it are gardening, hiking, bike rides, leisurely walks, and eating meals out on our patio.
This past weekend I enjoyed making this delicious and fresh black bean and corn salad. The weather was warm so I opened all my windows and got to work chopping all the bright colored and flavorful vegetables.
This salad uses a wonderful combination of tomatoes, onion corn, poblano chiles, a jalapeno, cilantro, and cucumbers. Black beans are added to the salad giving it great flavor, protein, and a beautiful contrasting color. The dressing for the salad is a simple light vinaigrette. It uses grapeseed oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, and some kosher salt.
This salad would be a perfect addition to serve at your next barbecue. You could serve it as a side dish or even serve it with tortilla chips and treat it as a salsa. Because it has the black beans, it can even hold it’s own a light main dish for lunch or dinner. I hope you enjoy this salad and your wonderful springtime weather as much as I am! What is your favorite time of year and what is your favorite way to enjoy it?
For the Salad
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes and quartered them)
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and diced
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 T. grapeseed or other neutral tasting oil
- 1 1/2 T. honey
- salt to taste
For the Salad
- If using frozen corn defrost on the counter or in the microwave.
- Chop the tomatoes, onion, cucumbers, cilantro, chiles, and jalepeno.
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Place all of the vegetables and the beans in a large bowl and gently toss together.
For the dressing
- In a small jar with a lid combine the vinegar, oil, honey, and salt.
- Place the lid on the jar and shake the dressing until it is completely combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently fold together.
- Serve immediately or let the salad chill in the fridge.