This sweet Blueberry Corn Feta Salad is full of summer corn, sweet blueberries, basil and salty feta. Tossed in a honey lime dressing for a fresh and easy salad to go with your favorite grilled protein!
The inspiration for this salad came from the recipe for this Southwest grilled salmon with blueberry corn salsa. I remember loving the sweet and spicy flavors of this salsa and thinking how I could take it a step further and turn it into a delicious salad. The addition of fresh basil from my garden and salty feta cheese crumbles took the flavors to a whole new level.
Ingredients Needed to Make the Blueberry Corn Feta Salad
- Feta cheese
- Green onions
- Olive oil
- Chili powder
Looking at the ingredients you might be skeptical. You’re wondering is this a Southwest flavored salad, Italian or Greek? It’s for sure a mashup of ingredients you don’t usually see together, but surprisingly they all work amazingly well together.
How to Make Blueberry Corn Feta Salad
- If using fresh corn, use your preferred method of cooking. I grilled mine because I love the flavor grilling gives it. You can also use frozen corn that’s been defrosted.
- Add the corn blueberries, feta, sliced green onions, jalapeño and basil to a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, honey and chili powder. Pour it over the salad and stir everything together until it’s coated in the dressing. The salad can be eaten right away or refrigerated until you’re ready to serve it.
Tips for Picking Sweet Blueberries
We’ve all had the experience of buying blueberries only to find out they’re so sour they aren’t even edible. When you’re shopping for blueberries be sure to look for ones that have smooth skin, no stems and are deep purple-blue or blue-black in color. Red and green are not good colors to see in blueberries.
Size isn’t necessarily an indicator of ripeness when it comes to blueberries. Along with the color being a good indication the skin should also have a sliver-whiteish dusting on them, that’s the bloom. Don’t wash your blueberries until you’re ready to eat them as this will cause them to get mushy faster.
What to Serve with the Salad
This blueberry corn salad goes great with any grilled protein, but below are my top picks.
- Chipotle Maple Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Chicken Satay
- Ribeye Steak
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin
- Grilled Shrimp with Romesco Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (defrosted) corn, grill fresh corn for extra flavor
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large serving bowl combine the corn, blueberries, green onion, jalapeño, feta and basil.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, honey, olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir together until combined. Taste for seasoning then serve or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. The salad will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator, but is best the day it's made.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g