This Cajun Chicken and Rice is a super flavorful one pan dinner with a kick of spice from the homemade Cajun seasoning! It’s easy to make, family-friendly, and the leftovers taste great too!
Why you’ll love it
One pan meal – If you’re like me and hate dirtying a bunch of dishes when you cook, then you’ll love that this Cajun chicken and rice all cooks in one pan. I often refer to these as skillet recipes.
Minimal ingredients – You only need basic ingredients for this recipe, some of which you probably already have. The majority of the ingredients are dried spices, which you’ll need to make the cajun seasoning.
Good for meal prep and leftovers – This is a meal that holds up well for several days in the refrigerator, which makes it a great option if you meal prep or want to have leftovers on a day you don’t feel like cooking.
What does Cajun seasoning taste like?
Cajun seasoning is what is used to give this chicken and rice all of it’s flavor. It has a bold and spicy flavor with a little bit of earthiness to it as well. The seasoning consists of dried thyme, oregano, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
Is Cajun chicken spicy?
Not really. It has a kick to it, but I wouldn’t say it’s over-powering spicy. You can always cut back on the amount of cayenne pepper in the seasoning if you’re concerned about it.
Ingredients you’ll need
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- rice – I like to use Jasmine rice, but long grain white rice works as well.
- yellow onion
- red bell pepper – Add a little sweetness to the spicy flavors in the recipe
- dried oregano and thyme – Earthy herbaceous flavors.
- smoked paprika – I love the smoky element it adds to the meal. If you can’t find smoked paprika, regular sweet paprika can be used instead.
- garlic and onion powder
- cayenne pepper – Give the Cajun seasoning it’s spicy flavor. Use more or less depending on your tolerance to spicy food.
- chicken broth – vegetable broth can also be used. I prefer to use low sodium so I can control how salty the meal is.
- scallions – I like to add thinly sliced scallions for garnish to give the dish a fresh element.
How to make Cajun chicken and rice
Make the Cajun seasoning – Combine all of the dried spices in a small bowl along with a good amount of salt. I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons of fine sea salt.
Sauté the chicken – Season the chicken with a tablespoon of the Cajun blend and then add it to a large pan that has a lid. Sauté the chicken for a couple minutes and then remove it onto a plate. You don’t want to fully cook the chicken, just brown it lightly on the outside.
Sauté the vegetables – Add the onion and pepper to the pan and sauté them until they’re soft. Add in the garlic and another tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning. Cook for another minute.
Cook the rice – Add the rice in with the vegetables and stir everything together. Pour in the chicken broth and bring it to a simmer. Add the chicken back into the skillet and cover with a lid. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Turn off the heat and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. This will allow any remaining broth to be absorbed.
Storage and reheating
The chicken and rice will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can also freeze this meal for up to 3 months. Be sure to let it cool completely before putting it in the freezer.
To reheat, either microwave or add it to a pan and reheat on medium-low heat until heated through. You may need to add a splash of chicken broth if you heat it on the stove to keep it from sticking to the pan.
This is a one pan dinner that can be served on it’s own, however here are a few side dishes and salads that would go well with it.
More one pot chicken recipes
Did you make this Cajun chicken and rice? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated or minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Scallions for topping (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients for the cajun seasoning in a small bowl.
- Toss the cubed chicken in a tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and brown for a couple minutes. Don't cook the chicken all the way through, it will finish cooking with the rice. Remove the chicken from the pan and onto a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add in the onion and pepper and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and a tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the rice and then pour in the chicken broth. Bring it to a simmer and then add the chicken back into the pan. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Once the rice is tender turn of the heat and let it steam for another 5 minutes to absorb any excess liquid. Top with sliced scallions and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 42g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.