This Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet is an easy, one pan weeknight dinner that everyone will love! Pan seared chicken breasts are nestled in a creamy garlic, tomato, kale sauce and topped with Parmesan cheese.
I feel like it’s been a while since I shared a new skillet dinner recipe. I got a little caught up in side dishes and breakfast recipes during the holidays, but don’t worry it’s back to easy delicious dinners to kick off the new year!
The bulk of the dinners that I make are made in one pan. I’m generally not a fan of making recipes that use lots of dishes and take hours to make. Some of my favorite skillet dinners that I’ve made in the past include, turkey and vegetable skillet, Mexican chicken, sweet potato and black bean skillet, and Greek meatballs and orzo skillet.
Today’s recipe for creamy Italian chicken skillet is perfect for night’s when you’re craving Italian food, but want something lighter and requires minimal effort to make. It’s filling enough to eat as is with a salad on the side or you can serve it on top of your favorite pasta.
Ingredients Needed to Make Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet
boneless skinless chicken breasts
Italian seasoning, dried oregano, onion powder, red pepper flakes
dry white wine
fire roasted tomatoes
low fat cream cheese
- basil or parsley for garnish (optional)
How to Make Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet
Start by combining all of the spices in a small bowl and seasoning the chicken with half of the mixture. Sauté the chicken in a large skillet until they’re golden brown on the outside, but not thoroughly cooked through. Put the chicken on a plate and add the kale and garlic into the skillet.
Sauté for a couple minutes until the kale wilts and then pour in the wine. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any of the brown bits the chicken left behind. Add in the tomatoes and cream cheese and stir everything together until the cream cheese is fully incorporated and you have a creamy sauce.
Put the chicken back in the skillet, top with Parmesan cheese and then put it in the oven to bake for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. I like to top the chicken with chopped basil and parsley for some fresh flavor, but it’s not necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yes. Chicken thighs are a great substitution. Either boneless skinless or skin on will work, but you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly. If you choose to use thighs you may not need to add the two teaspoons of olive oil to the skillet before adding in the kale as there will likely be more grease.
Replacement for White Wine?
If you don’t have dry white wine or prefer not to use it, substitute with an equal amount of chicken broth.
What Can I Use Instead of Kale?
Spinach or Swiss chard are great replacements for kale. Swiss chard has a milder flavor than kale, so if it’s the flavor you don’t like, you may enjoy chard. Chard stems can also be cooked to tender, whereas kale stems can’t and it’s best to discard them.
How Long Will the Leftovers Keep?
The chicken leftovers will keep for several days in the refrigerator. You may notice that the sauce separates a little. Just give it a stir before reheating and it will be good as new.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped (about 5 cups)
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley for topping.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. In a small bowl combine the Italian seasoning, oregano, onion powder and red pepper flakes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large oven safe skillet. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and half of the spice mixture. Place the chicken in the skillet and sauté for 8-10 minutes flipping halfway through, the chicken won’t be fully cooked. Remove from the skillet onto a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet along with the kale, garlic and remaining spice mix. Sauté for 2 minutes then pour in the wine. Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add in the tomatoes and cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese is fully incorporated and the sauce is creamy. Nestle the chicken into the sauce and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F. Remove the skillet from the oven and top with chopped basil and parsley if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 375mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 49g