Easy, healthy and on the table in minutes! This family friendly Italian Chicken and Vegetable Skillet is full of flavor, fresh vegetables and plenty of protein. Serve it right out of the skillet or on top of your favorite pasta!
Craving more one pan Italian inspired recipes? Try this creamy Italian chicken skillet!
This post has been updated since it was originally published on 4/5/2017.
Why I love it
One pan – Who doesn’t love a dinner that can be made in one pan?! Less dishes to wash and easier to keep an eye on so you don’t burn or overcook something in another pan.
Balanced meal – This Italian chicken recipe is full of flavorful pesto marinated chicken, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, cannellini beans, and basil. You can top it with mozzarella or parmesan cheese and serve it with a side of crusty bread or pasta for a complete and satisfying dinner.
Fast and flavorful – Aside from letting the chicken marinate, this is a dinner that can be on the table in 30 minutes. Speaking of the chicken, it’s marinated in pesto, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and garlic, which gives it tons of flavor.
- Chicken – I used chicken breasts for this recipe, but chicken thighs work great too.
- Pesto – Pesto is a great way to give chicken a ton of flavor. My favorite jarred brand is DeLallo.
- Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes – Dried spices used to flavor the chicken and the vegetables.
- Cherry tomatoes – Add pops of sweetness to the skillet dinner.
- Zucchini – When buying zucchini at the store look for ones that are smaller in size, free of nicks and cuts, and are firm.
- Cannellini beans – I love using these beans because they’re so creamy! However, they can be substituted with any white bean of your choice.
- Balsamic vinegar – Adds a little acidity and sweetness and pairs well with the pesto and juices that are released from the tomatoes.
- Basil – I love adding fresh herbs to dishes at the end of cooking to brighten up the flavor. Basil works well with the pesto, but you could also use flat leaf parsley.
- Mozzarella cheese – Mozzarella is the perfect cheese to melt on top of this Italian flavored meal. Parmesan would also be delicious and can be used in combination with the mozzarella.
How to make Italian chicken and vegetable skillet
Marinate the chicken – Cut the chicken into bite sized chunks then place them in a resealable bag. Add in the pesto, garlic, salt and pepper, and half of the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Seal the bag and massage everything into the chicken until it’s coated. Let it marinate for at least 15 minutes or overnight.
Cook the chicken – Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a little olive oil to the skillet and then dump in the chicken. Spread it into a single layer and let it sear for several minutes before flipping it over and finishing the cooking. Remove the chicken from the skillet and onto a plate.
Cook the vegetables – Add a little more olive oil to the skillet and then add in the zucchini, tomatoes, remaining Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Sauté the veggies until they’re soft, but not mushy.
Combine chicken and vegetables – Add the chicken back into the skillet along with the beans, balsamic vinegar, and basil. Stir everything together and then top it with the shredded mozzarella. Cover the skillet with a lid or piece of foil and let it warm through until the cheese is melted.
Substitutions and variations
- Use a different kind of cheese. I used mozzarella cheese, but fontina, smoked mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, or any combination of these cheeses would all be delicious.
- Boneless skinless chicken thigh can be used instead of chicken breasts.
- Change up the vegetables for what you have on hand or your family likes best. Broccoli, red bell pepper, corn, spinach, kale, summer squash, or asparagus would all be good alternatives.
What to serve with Italian chicken and vegetable skillet
Pasta, quinoa or rice all go well with chicken recipe. Warm crusty bread or garlic bread would also be delicious. For something lighter go with your favorite salad or try my lemon parmesan shaved brussels sprouts salad.
Italian chicken and vegetable skillet FAQ:
How long will the Italian chicken keep?
The chicken and vegetable skillet will keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can the Italian chicken and vegetables be frozen?
I don’t recommend freezing this because the tomatoes and zucchini will be mushy and release a lot of liquid when it’s defrosted. The chicken by itself can be frozen.
More one pan chicken dinners
- Chicken with Feta and Tomatoes
- Skillet Greek Lemon Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Cheesesteak Skillet
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Chicken Stroganoff
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Did you make this Italian chicken and vegetable skillet? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons grated or minced garlic
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Season the cut up pieces of chicken with salt and pepper and put them in a freezer bag with the pesto, garlic, one teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Massage the mixture into the chicken and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes or overnight.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken to the skillet and sauté until cooked through. Remove the cooked chicken onto a plate.
- Add additional oil to the skillet and then add in the zucchini, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and the remaining teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Sauté until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the chicken back into the skillet along with the cannellini beans, balsamic vinegar and basil. Stir everything together and taste for seasoning.
- Top with the shredded mozzarella and cover with a lid until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 457mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 47g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.