The biggest game day of all the game days is here! It’s Super Bowl Sunday! If you didn’t know, you might want to remove yourself from that rock you’ve been hiding under…just kidding. Today is the day where we put on our fat pants and feast on way too many chicken wings, chili, chips, and dip. Speaking of dip, if you need one more quick one to add to your table, try out this Creamy Kale Greek Yogurt Dip!
Super Bowl noshing doesn’t have to leave you with a food hangover the next day. There are ways you can still enjoy all the food without all the guilt. If I am the one preparing the food I always stick to using lighter or lower fat ingredients where I can. Instead of filling up on chips with my dip, I try to use vegetables as my dipping vehicle. Not only are they obviously the healthier choice, but they will fill you up faster and keep you full longer than that chip will.
Another trick I use is to fill my plate with more protein packed items instead of all the carbs. The protein like the vegetables will keep you full longer and help prevent you from making unnecessary trips to the table to refill your plate. This Creamy Kale Greek Yogurt Dip is a great dip to fill up on because it’s not only loaded with protein from the yogurt, but vegetables as well. Use some carrots or celery instead of chips to eat this dip with and you’ll have a perfectly healthy game day snack!
My last tip is a hard one. Who doesn’t want an ice cold beer or cocktail to go with all the delicious food?! Just keep in mind that alcohol has a tendency to make you more hungry than you really are. I know that I find myself snacking much more than normal if I’m having an alcoholic drink than if I wasn’t. To help avoid this sticky situation have a glass of water after that beer. Not only will it rehydrate you, but it will also keep your hunger in check. For those of you who are trying to stick to healthier eating habits, don’t feel like Super Bowl Sunday is going to blow it for you. Just go into the day with a game plan of what and how you are going to eat and everything will turn out A-ok!
- 2 cups plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 cups kale, rib removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup greeen onions, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Place all of the chopped vegetables in a food processor and pulse until they are minced.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and process until everything is combined.
- Stop once to scrape down the sides, then process one more time.
- Pour the dip into a bowl, cover it, and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours or even overnight to let the flavors combine together.
- If you are making the dip by hand be sure to finely chop all of the vegetables, then fold them into the rest of the combined ingredients.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 812.11Total Fat: 56.61gCarbohydrates: 41.61gProtein: 31.2g