These Creamy Green Chile Chicken Tacos are so easy to make! 5 ingredients and a slow cooker are all you need to make these creamy, healthy, and delicious tacos!
Happy Friday friends! This is a super fun Friday for me, I’m currently up in Vail, Colorado enjoying a little belated birthday getaway and loving every minute of it. It’s just as beautiful and enjoyable this time as it was in the fall.
I love that we live so close to the mountains and can easily take day trips or weekend trips up to places like Vail without having to do much planning. It only takes a about an hour and half to drive from our house before we’re in some of the great mountain/ski towns. Since it’s the off season for skiing right now and the summer activities haven’t started up yet, you can get some great deals at the resorts in these towns.
We’ll be headed back home later this afternoon to avoid the weekend rush of everyone coming up to the mountains, that’s how we roll in Colorado, we can’t get enough of our gorgeous outdoors! I know when I get home I won’t be in the mood to cook anything, but luckily I have plenty of the delicious chicken I used to make these Creamy Green Chile Chicken Tacos leftover!
I know I usually do pizza on Fridays, but tacos are equally delicious, don’t you think? These chicken tacos are extra awesome because the meat is cooked in your slow cooker, only uses five ingredients, and they’re creamy, but in a non fattening protein filled way thanks to Greek yogurt! The main flavor boost in these tacos comes from the green enchilada sauce. My favorite one to use is Frontera’s.
As if the meat isn’t delicious enough I topped the tacos with some amazing cotija cheese! If you’ve never tried cotija cheese you need to. It’s crumbly and salty like feta, but in a more mild way, and it’s perfect for tacos! Whip up a batch of this super simple creamy green chile chicken this weekend and enjoy these tacos next week for a quick dinner!
More Taco Recipes
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 12 corn tortillas
- Cotija cheese, tomatoes and lettuce for toppings
- Add the chicken, green chile enchilada sauce, diced green chiles, and cumin to a slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 4-8 hours depending on how fast your's cooks.
- Turn the slow cooker off, then shred the chicken with two forks.
- When the chicken is shredded stir in the Greek yogurt until combined.
- Serve the chicken in corn tortillas topped with crumbled cotija cheese, diced fresh tomatoes, and shredded lettuce.
- Any extra chicken may be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for a later date.
Don't add the Greek yogurt in until after the chicken is cooked and shredded or you'll risk it curdling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 424mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g