If you love shredded chicken tacos then you have to try these slow cooker creamy green chile chicken tacos! You only need a handful of ingredients to make them and they’re perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or entertaining.
This recipe and photos have been updated since the original post on 5/15/2015.
Chicken tacos are such an easy dinner to throw together when you’re short on time and it’s almost a guarantee that the family won’t be disappointed.
There’s plenty of ways to flavor the chicken. The easiest is to just toss some shredded chicken with your favorite jarred salsa.
Now, if you’re a fan of green chiles and green chile enchilada sauce then you’ll want to give these green chile chicken tacos a try!
Ingredients For Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Chicken breasts – boneless skinless chicken thighs can also be used.
- Diced green chiles – You can use mild or hot depending on how spicy you want the tacos.
- Green chile enchilada sauce – My favorite brands to use are Siete Foods, Hatch Chile Company, or Frontera.
- Cumin, chili powder, garlic powder – If you have access to green chile powder I highly recommend using that. I get mine from Savory Spice Shop.
- Cream cheese – Both low fat and full fat cream cheese work for this recipe.
- Plain Greek yogurt – Non-fat, 2%, and full fat plain Greek yogurt will work. I used 2% for this recipe.
How To Make Green Chile Chicken Tacos
These chicken tacos couldn’t be easier to make. Combine the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle onto the chicken breasts and then place the chicken in your slow cooker.
Poor in the diced green chiles and enchilada sauce and spread them over the top of the chicken. Cook on low for 3-5 hours depending on your slow cooker and the thickness of your chicken breasts.
Once the chicken is cooked through shred it. Add in the cream cheese and Greek yogurt and stir until everything is incorporated and creamy.
Serve the green Chile chicken in warmed tortillas topped with avocado, cilantro, and crumbled queso fresco, or toppings of your choosing.
Tips For The Best Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Try to use chicken breasts that are similar in size so that they cook evenly.
- You don’t need to cook the chicken for 8 hours and if you do it’s likely going to be incredibly dry.
- Don’t skip the dried spices. Using this blend of spices gives the chicken an extra boost of flavor that a can or jar of enchilada sauce won’t bring on its own.
- To save time shredding the chicken, use either a handheld mixer or an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and beat them on low speed until they break up and are shredded. Be sure not to over beat the chicken or the texture can get weird.
More Ways To Use Creamy Green Chile Chicken
- Use it as a filling for burritos or enchiladas.
- Use it to replace the chicken in this Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pasta.
- Make chicken burrito or taco bowls with it. Use brown rice, the green chile chicken, black beans or pinto beans, corn, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and avocado.
- Make these Baked Green Chile Chicken Taquitos for your next party.
More Taco Recipes
- Sweet Potato Bacon and Egg Breakfast Tacos
- Greek Chicken Tacos with Tzatziki and Hummus
- Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Slaw
- Sweet Potato and Lentil Tacos
- Grilled Salmon Tacos with Corn Salsa
Did you make this Creamy Green Chile Chicken Tacos? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, green chile powder if you have it
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 16 corn tortillas
- Crumbled queso fresco, avocado, cilantro, and salsa verde for toppings
- Season the chicken breasts with the spices, salt and pepper. Add them to the slow cooker along with the enchilada sauce and diced green chiles.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 3-5 hours depending on how fast your's cooks and the size of the chicken breasts.
- Turn the slow cooker off and shred the chicken. Stir in the cream cheese and Greek yogurt.
- Serve in warm corn tortillas topped with crumbled queso fresco, diced avocado, and cilantro and salsa verde.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 348mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 49g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.