Honey Nut Energy Bites taste exactly as the name suggests. They’re perfect for pre-workout fuel, an afternoon snack or a healthy after dinner treat!
Time for a new energy bite! It’s been a while since I made a batch and with my trip to Arizona last week I knew I’d want a snack while I was waiting for the plane. Having a couple of these Honey Nut Energy Bites in my bag was just what I needed to hold me over until dinner.
It’s amazing to me the amount of crap that’s available to eat at the airport and how small the selection of healthy choices is. They even have to label the area “healthy choices” as if you couldn’t tell the difference. I thought about buying an RX or Epic Bar, but after seeing that they were charging nearly three times what I would normally pay for one, I decided to stick with the energy bites.
Honey Nut Energy Bites are exactly as the name suggests, honey, nuts and a little protein powder too. There’s no oats in this version so if you can’t eat oats or are following the Paleo diet then these are a good option.
I used a combination of pistachios, cashews and almond meal, but you could use any type of nut you have on hand. The nuts are pulsed in a food processor or high-speed blender until they are the consistency of almond meal. The binder for these bites is almond butter and honey. You could do peanut butter if you prefer it, but the flavor will be different, not in a bad way I’m sure.
Everything is stirred together in a bowl until it binds together and you end up with something that looks like dough. How big you make the energy bites is up to you and obviously the calories will vary. I made mine approximately a scant tablespoon size and ended up with 18 of them.
The energy bites can be stored in the refrigerator for about a week, maybe a little longer or keep them in the freezer for months. This version freezes fairly hard, so you’ll want to let them sit out on the counter for a few minutes or you might end up with a chipped tooth. 😉
Honey Nut Energy Bites
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup raw pistachios, shelled
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup unsweetened protein powder
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Pulse the cashews and pistachios in a food processor or high speed blender until they are the consistency of almond meal.
- Pour them into a medium sized bowl and stir together with the almond meal and protein powder. Add in the almond butter, honey and vanilla and mix everything together with a rubber spatula until it comes together and forms a dough.
- Scoop out a scant tablespoon amount of the dough and roll it into a ball. Repeat the process until all of the dough is gone. Store the energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for several months.
- A runnier almond butter works best for this recipe.
- If you store the energy bites in the freezer, let them sit out on the counter for a couple minutes before eating as they freeze hard.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 113kcal Calories from fat 68|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|