These Mini Chicken Enchilada Cups are a quick and easy way to do enchiladas! Customize them with your favorite toppings for a delicious Mexican dinner or party appetizer!
Cinco de Mayo is a little over a week away and obviously I had to share a themed recipe since Mexican food is one of my favorites! These Mini Chicken Enchilada Cups will be perfect to serve if you’re throwing a party like I am, or if you want a quick dinner the whole family will love.
When I say I’m having a Cinco de Mayo party, I actually mean I’m having a Cuatro de Mayo party. The 5th is on a Sunday and parties on Sundays usually aren’t a great idea and make for a very long Monday. This is especially true when copious amounts of baked tortilla chips, pico de gallo and margaritas will be consumed.
These Mini Chicken Enchilada Cups are great for parties because they’re handheld which means less dishes for you to wash and easier for your guests to eat. I also created this recipe with the intention that you can prep the filling a day or two ahead of time. Whenever I host a party I like to have as much done before the actual day as I can.
Speaking of the filling, it couldn’t be easier to make! You’ll need two cooked chicken breasts or you could even use leftover rotisserie chicken meat. The chicken is shredded and mixed together with red enchilada sauce (I like this brand), green onion, cilantro, spices, corn, Greek yogurt and of course cheese. The Greek yogurt adds a nice creaminess, but if you’re not into it feel free to skip it.
Mini corn tortillas or flour if you prefer are pressed into a muffin pan and baked into a crisp cup to hold the chicken enchilada filling. If you’re using corn tortillas, wrap them in damp paper towels and warm them in the microwave first. This will make it easier to mold them into the muffin pan and less likely to break.
Once the tortillas have baked the filling is added in and topped with more cheese. Bake them until the filling is warm and the cheese is melted then garnish with your favorite toppings. I went with cilantro, plain Greek yogurt and diced tomato. Next time I plan to use this Green Chile Guacamole for a topping too!
More Cinco de Mayo Appetizers
Skinny Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Dip
Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites
Mini Chicken Enchilada Cups
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup frozen fire roasted or regular corn, defrosted
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese, divided
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 12 mini corn tortillas, sometimes called "street taco" size
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and spray a standard muffin pan with cooking spray. Wrap the mini corn tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave for 30 seconds or until warm and pliable. Gently press one down into each muffin cup. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crisp and hardened on the sides.
- While the tortillas bake mix together the shredded chicken, green chiles, corn, green onion, cilantro, spices, enchilada sauce, Greek yogurt and 1/3 cup of shredded cheese until combined. Divide the filling evenly into each of the baked tortilla cups. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup of cheese and bake until the filling is warm and the cheese is melted, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve the mini chicken enchilada cups with toppings such as diced tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, salsa and black olives.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g
Leave a Reply