Every party needs a crostini and these Roasted Red Pepper, Olive and Ricotta Crostini deliver major flavor! briny olives, sweet roasted red peppers and creamy ricotta are a perfect pairing in these little bites.
It is the beginning of November, right? I’m asking because Monday morning I went out for my run and staring at me through the window of a neighbor’s house up the street was a Christmas tree all lit up. I knew from previous years these people always jumped the gun on getting the tree up, but this was a new record. I’m sorry, but I just can’t do Christmas this early.
We don’t prepare for any other holidays nearly two months in advance, so why this one? It can’t all be about the presents can it? If it is, then that’s really sad. I have and always will wait until the day after Thanksgiving to put up our tree and decorate the house. Every holiday deserves some attention and not to be overshadowed by what some consider the biggest holiday of the year.
Do you do appetizers before a special meal like Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner? I like to have at least one in case the turkey is taking longer than expected and because so many people fast for the majority of the day in preparation of stuffing themselves. Yes, I am one of these people. However, I’m usually fasting because I’m too busy to sit down and eat lunch.
Having a quick and easy appetizer like these Roasted Red Pepper, Olive and Ricotta Crostini will take the edge off of both you and your guests’ hunger so you won’t go hog wild on all the food once the turkey hits the table.
Both the ricotta and the olive and pepper topping can be prepared the day before so all you have to do is toast the bread and assemble them. It should only take you about 15 minutes and I’m certain they will be gone in 5 minutes or less.
The brinyness of the olives paired with the sweet roasted red peppers and creamy ricotta is the perfect balance of flavors to warm up your palate for the big feast. Serve the crostini with a glass of wine and enjoy a few relaxing moments before the start of the main course. Enjoy!
Roasted Red Pepper, Olive and Ricotta Crostini
- 1 baguette, whole grain if possible
- 3/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese, drain off any liquid in the container
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the baguette into approximately 1/4 inch slices, brush one side with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Let them cool completely before assembling.
- In a blender or food processor add the ingredients for the ricotta spread and purée until smooth. Taste for seasoning. You may need to add a teaspoon or olive oil or work the mixture off the sides if you're using a blender.
- Add the topping ingredients into a bowl and stir together.
- Spread the ricotta mixture evenly onto the baguette slices then spoon some of the olive and pepper mixture on top. Garnish with toasted pine nuts.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 122kcal Calories from fat 46|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|