This Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is an easy to make Italian flavored soup that’s perfect for fall and winter! This hearty and healthy soup is one the whole family will enjoy.
After spending the last couple days in Vail celebrating my husband’s birthday, I’m in need of some home cooked healthy meals. Nothing beats a hearty soup like this Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup after you’ve been indulging in all the carbs, sweets and wine!
Soup and the word hearty don’t seem like they should be used in the same sentence, but I assure you this one will have you feeling full and satisfied. Not only is it loaded with vegetables, but also has shredded chicken and cheese tortellini.
What Do I Need to Make the Soup?
The ingredients list for this soup might look a little long, but I’m guessing you may already have quite a few of the ingredients.
- Green beans
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Fresh thyme and rosemary
- Italian seasoning
- Spinach or kale
- Balsamic vinegar, an aged one is best.
- Cooked and shredded chicken, I used chicken breasts.
- Cheese tortellini or whatever filling you like best.
- Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Parmesan cheese, plus the cheese rind
Why I Use Pacific Foods
You may have noticed that I specifically mention using Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth and there’s several reasons for that. Pacific Foods is a wonderful brand that I’ll be working with over the next year. Before this partnership even came about, I was already using their broths in my cooking.
I choose to use Pacific Foods because they strive to create products that nourish our bodies. They’re products are made with simple ingredients. You won’t find any additives or preservatives in them and they’re all organic and non-GMO. They also source their ingredients locally whenever possible.
Along with the care that goes into the products they make, I’m also impressed with the priority they place on sustainability. If you’re interested in learning more about their sustainability practices, there’s quite a bit I didn’t cover.
Back to this cozy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup. This isn’t a slow cooker or pressure cooker soup, just a traditional simmer on the stove soup. Sometimes I like those the best and to be honest often times they’re faster to make. The soup only needs about 30 minutes of cooking time so it works well for a weeknight meal.
Can I Make It Vegetarian?
Absolutely. To make the soup vegetarian all you need to do is omit the shredded chicken and substitute the Low Sodium Chicken Broth with Low Sodium Vegetable Broth. To bulk up the protein I would suggest adding a can of cannellini beans.
Time Saving Tips
- Use shredded rotisserie chicken (skin removed) or any leftover cooked chicken you have.
- Dice your carrots and onions the night before and trim the green beans.
- Grate your garlic on a rasp grater. Not only do I prefer this method because I don’t like biting into chunks of garlic, but it’s so much faster!
Can I Freeze the Soup?
Yes, but without the tortellini. If you plan to freeze the soup cook the tortellini separately and add it into each individual serving. Pasta doesn’t freeze well in soup and will turn mushy. I also would advise you to cook the tortellini separately if you want a more broth based soup. The starch from the pasta will thicken the soup slightly as it cooks in it.
This Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is a must try this fall and winter and it’s a soup the whole family will love!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups green beans, ends trimmed and cut into approx. 2 inch pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 64 ounces Pacific Foods Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 (9 oz) package cheese tortellini
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add the green beans and sauté another 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
- Pour in the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, spices, fresh herbs, parmesan cheese rind and broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir everything together.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and add in the shredded chicken, spinach and tortellini. Boil for the recommended time listed on the package of tortellini.
- Taste for seasoning and serve warm topped with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Info. based on 6 servings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 470mg Carbohydrates: 40g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 28g