Today I’m sharing another easy to make slow cooker dinner, Turkey Taco Soup.
This soup is wonderful for so many reasons. First of all it only requires about 15 minutes of hands on time cooking it, the rest of the time is spent bubbling away in the slow cooker. Second, it’s Mexican food, and boy do I love my Mexican food! I especially love Mexican food when it’s healthy and I can have a large serving of it without any guilt or the stomach ache later. Finally, it’s soup! I adore soup almost as much as I love salads. Soup is one of the best parts about fall and winter. I love the way it makes the house smell and the way it quickly warms me up on a cold day. So as you can see, this Turkey Taco Soup kind of has it all. Easy to make, full of delicious Mexican flavors, healthy, and the perfect meal to warm up with on a cold day.
I made this soup last week and was able to enjoy it not only for dinner, but lunch the next couple days as well. It makes enough so that you could freeze half for another time when you need a quick dinner. Making this Turkey Taco Soup is about as easy as it gets. Start by dicing up an onion and browning it along with some lean ground turkey in a skillet. Once the turkey and onion are cooked add them into your slow cooker.
Next add in all of the spices (chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, and ranch seasoning mix), frozen corn, black beans, a can of diced green chiles, fire roasted tomatoes, Rotel, and chicken broth. Give everything a stir, then put the lid on the slow cooker and set it to low. My slow cooker tends to cook things very quickly so I only had it on for about 4 hours on low. If you have a newer more accurate one, I would say you would probably cook this closer to 6 to 8 hours on low.
Just like you top tacos, this soup needs to be topped with some yummy fixings! I chose to top mine with cheddar cheese, cilantro, avocado, and plain Greek yogurt ( I almost alway use this instead of sour cream). Just like the name implies, this soup tastes just like a turkey taco, minus the taco shell. Of course you could crumble some tortilla chips on top as well and that would just be the icing on the cake…err…taco, you know what I mean. Whatever you choose to top this soup with it will be delicious and you can feel good knowing that it only took you 15 minutes to make this wonderful pot of soup!
More Soup Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 10 ounce can tomatoes with green chiles (I used Rotel)
- 14 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Cheese, green onions, avocado and sour cream for toppings
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is hot add in the diced onion and ground turkey. Using a wooden spoon break up the turkey into crumbles. Brown the turkey and onion until the turkey is no longer pink (about 5-7 minutes)
- Pour the turkey and onion mixture into the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker except for the toppings and stir everything together.
- Set your slow cooker to low, cover it, and let it cook for 6-8 hours depending on how fast your slow cooker cooks. Serve the soup topped with the cheese, cilantro, green onions, avocado, and sour cream, or other toppings of your choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 503mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 33g