If you love buffalo chicken then you’ll love this easy buffalo chicken skillet! It’s made with chicken breasts, celery, carrots, sweet potato, white beans, and of course plenty of buffalo hot sauce. Top it with shredded cheese and blue cheese crumbles for a deliciously spicy one pan dinner!
Anything buffalo chicken inspired is a welcomed meal in our house. We love the sinus clearing spice and that slow burn that lingers in your mouth. Of course you don’t have to make it that spicy, just buy a mild hot sauce. However, I personally enjoy some heat!
You can find a lot of buffalo chicken recipes on my website. These baked buffalo chicken wonton cups are great for game day and if you’re in the mood for tacos, buffalo chicken tacos with blue cheese coleslaw are a must.
What Is Buffalo Sauce?
First thing’s first, buffalo sauce doesn’t come from or made with buffalo. It actually has nothing to do with the animal at all.
Buffalo sauce is a combination of hot sauce, vinegar, melted butter, and sometimes cayenne pepper and garlic. There are many recipes online if you want to make your own, or you can find it in the condiment section at most grocery stores. My preferred brand to buy is Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce.
Ingredients For Buffalo Chicken Skillet
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- yellow onion
- sweet potato
- buffalo sauce or hot sauce
- water or chicken broth
- canned white beans
- Colby jack Cheese
- blue cheese
- cilantro (optional)
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Skillet
You’ll want to use a large skillet when making this recipe and have plate on hand as well. Heat some olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat and add in the chicken and spices.
Sauté the chicken until it’s browned on the outside and cooked through. To get the browning on the outside, spread out the chicken into a single layer and then don’t touch it for several minutes. Letting it sit untouched and sear in the oil is what gives it that golden brown, crisp exterior.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the skillet and onto a plate. Pour additional oil to the skillet and add in the onion, celery, carrots, and sweet potato. Season with salt and pepper and sauté the vegetables over medium heat until they’re tender.
Be sure to cut the sweet potato into a fairly small dice as it will likely take 7-8 minutes to get soft. Once the vegetables are soft add the chicken back into the skillet along with the white beans, chicken broth (or water), and buffalo sauce.
Simmer for a couple minutes until it’s heated through and then top with the shredded Colby Jack cheese. Cover with a lid until the cheese is melted and then finish off the meal with crumbled blue cheese and chopped cilantro.
How To Serve Buffalo Chicken Skillet
This is a recipe that is hearty enough that you could serve it on it’s own, but here are several more suggestions.
- Your favorite salad. This cucumber radish salad with creamy yogurt dill dressing is a refreshing salad and a great way to tame the heat from the buffalo chicken.
- On top of rice
- Over pasta. Egg noodles, shells, or macaroni would be good.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Buffalo Chicken Salad with Spicy Ranch Dressing
- Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
Buffalo Chicken Skillet
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1/4-1/3 cup buffalo hot sauce
- 1/2 cup water or low sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounce can low sodium white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the chicken, all of the spices, salt and pepper, and cook until it's browned on the outside and cooked through. Remove it from the skillet and onto a plate.
- Pour the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet and add in the onion, celery, carrots, and sweet potato. Season with salt and pepper and sauté the vegetables over medium heat until they're tender.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet along with the white beans, then pour in the buffalo sauce and either water or chicken broth. Stir everything together and let it heat through. Top with the shredded cheese and cover with the lid until the cheese melts. Garnish with crumbled blue cheese and chopped cilantro before serving if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 610mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 7gSugar: 14gProtein: 46g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.
Claude Vendette says
Hi Danae, How are you today? Love your Blog. I made lot recipes from your Blog so far this year (all delicious and receive many Praises from all my guests).
Tomorrow, i will be making buffalo chicken skillet; On your Blog it says “pour in the Buffalo sauce and either water or chicken broth” What is the amount of water or chicken broth need it? It does’nt say it on the Blog.
Happy Holidays to you and your family.
From: Rouyn-Noranda, Québec
Hi Claude! I’m glad you’ve been enjoying some of the recipes. Sorry about the confusion on the buffalo chicken skillet. I updated the recipe, you’ll need either 1/2 cup water or chicken broth. Happy holidays too you as well!