Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili is a great way to change up chili night and it’s sure to be a hit with buffalo chicken lovers! Spicy, creamy and full of shredded chicken, white beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles and so much more!
Looking for another slow cooker chili recipe? Try this slow cooker bison sweet potato chili!
This post has been updated since it was originally published on 9/28/2020
Why you’ll love it
Slow cooker – Making this slow cooker a.k.a. Crockpot chili is effortless! Stir the ingredients together, let it cook, shred the chicken, and serve.
Great for game day – Chili is a must for game day and the Super Bowl and it’s even better when you can make a version that reminds you of your favorite chicken wings!
Alternative to ground beef chili – Traditionally chili is made with ground beef and has a tomato based broth. This chicken chili is a nice alternative to beef and still has all the heartiness that you want and expect from chili.
- Chicken breasts
- Chili powder, ground cumin, garlic and onion powder
- Green onions
- Frozen corn – For extra flavor try frozen fire roasted corn.
- Diced green chiles – They come in mild and hot varieties, use either depending on how spicy you want it.
- Fire roasted tomatoes – I love the added smoky flavor fire roasted give the chili. You can substitute with regular canned diced tomatoes if needed.
- Cannellini beans – The creamy texture and mild flavor works great in this chili.
- Buffalo sauce/hot sauce – I recommend using the Noble Made brand for buffalo sauce, but use whatever your favorite is.
- Chicken broth – Stick to low sodium to prevent the chili from being to salty.
- Cream cheese – Low fat or full fat can be used. Make sure it’s room temperature before adding it to the chili.
- Plain Greek yogurt – Full fat or 2% Greek yogurt needs to be used. It has a richer flavor and the risk of it curdling is far less than when using non-fat.
How to Make Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
Combine ingredients in the slow cooker – Add all of the ingredients except the cream cheese and Greek yogurt to your slow cooker. Stir everything together and cover it with the lid.
Cook – If you cook this on high it will take approximately 3 hours and on low 4-6 hours. The timing will be determined by the size of your chicken breasts and your slow cooker.
Shred the chicken – When the chicken is no longer pink inside, remove it from the slow cooker and shred it.
Add in the cream cheese – into the slow cooker and whisk it in. Whisking gets rid of any lumps of cream cheese. Dump the chicken back in and cook for another 30 minutes.
Add the Greek yogurt – Turn the slow cooker off and quickly stir in the Greek yogurt. At this point the chili is ready to serve.
Toppings for Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Crumbled Blue Cheese. Blue cheese and buffalo sauce are a great combination. That’s why they’re often paired together when you order chicken wings.
- Green onions
- Cilantro or celery leaves
- Cheddar, Monterey Jack or Colby Jack cheese. If you love cheese, I highly recommend doing both blue cheese and Colby Jack cheese on top of this chili.
- An extra dollop of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Extra buffalo sauce, My go-to is Frank’s Buffalo Sauce
- Tortilla or corn chips crumbled on top if you need some crunch. They also make a great edible spoon to eat the chili with.
Tips to prevent chicken breasts from getting dry in the slow cooker
- They don’t need 8+ hours to cook. Have you noticed how dry and stringy chicken breasts are after you leave them in the slow cooker all day? Even on a low setting they only need 4-6 hours.
- Don’t put frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker. This will add a significant amount of cooking time to whatever recipe you are making. I have also found that the texture of the chicken isn’t very appealing and often dry as well.
What size slow cooker to use for chili
For this recipe I used a 6 quart slow cooker. I have this KitchenAid brand and love it.
Just like ground beef chili, this buffalo chicken chili tastes even better the day after it was made. The chili can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
I don’t recommend freezing this chili because it has dairy in it and will likely separate and have a grainy texture when you reheat it.
More buffalo chicken recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Salad with Spicy Ranch Dressing
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Did you make this slow cooker buffalo chicken chili? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup hot sauce such as Noble Made or Franks Buffalo Sauce
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- Blue cheese, cheddar cheese, cilantro and green onions for toppings
- Add the chicken breasts and all of the other ingredients except the cream cheese and Greek yogurt to the slow cooker. Stir everything together then cover it with the lid. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours or until the chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and onto a plate. Use forks or your hands to shred it. Add the cream cheese into the slow cooker and whisk it in until there's no lumps. Add the shredded chicken back in and cover with the lid. Cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- Turn off the slow cooker and quickly stir in the Greek yogurt. Don't let it sit or it may curdle. Taste for seasoning. Top the chili with shredded cheese, blue cheese crumbles, green onions, cilantro and extra hot sauce if desired.
- Cooking times for the chili will vary depending on your slow cooker and the size of the chicken breasts you are using.
- Nutritional info for this recipe does not include toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 807mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 47g