This shredded brussels sprouts salad is made with apple, pear, pomegranate seeds, pepitas, dried cranberries, and a creamy tahini dressing. It’s the perfect colorful, crunchy salad for fall or the holidays!
Generally when you think about how to prepare brussels sprouts, roasting is probably the first thing that comes to mind. It’s usually my go-to way to prepare them.
However, I do enjoy them raw in a salad as long as they’re shredded or shaved. It’s similar to coleslaw. This shredded brussels sprouts salad is a delicious was to enjoy raw brussels sprouts.
Along with brussels sprouts, you’ll find many other fall ingredients in this salad. Apple, pear, pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries, and pepitas. The creamy tahini dressing pulls the whole salad together. It’s a little sweet from the maple syrup, tangy from the dijon mustard, and slightly nutty from the tahini.
Ingredients For Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- brussels sprouts
- pomegranate seeds
- dried cranberries
- dijon mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- maple syrup
How To Make Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
Start by making the tahini maple dressing for the salad. In a glass measuring cup or bowl, combine the tahini, dijon, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and warm water.
Whisk everything together until it’s smooth and creamy. Adjust the seasoning as needed and add in additional water a tablespoon at a time until it’s the consistency that you like.
For the salad you can either trim the ends off of the brussels sprouts and thinly slice them, or use a bag of pre-shredded brussels sprouts. If you’re using a bag of pre-shredded you may find that they contain some thick, dried out pieces. You’ll want to discard these. That’s the one downside to not slicing them yourself.
Add the shredded sprouts to a large serving bowl. Dice the apple and pear and add them into the bowl along with the pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries, pepitas, and toasted pecans.
Pour about half of the tahini maple dressing onto the salad and toss everything together. Add additional dressing to the salad until it’s the creaminess that you like.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cashew butter would be a good replacement for the tahini. Be sure that the cashew butter is runny so that you have a smooth dressing.
The salad can be prepped a day in advance, but I recommend waiting to cut the fruit the day you make it to prevent it from browning. Wait to add the pecans and pepitas to the salad right before you serve it so they stay crunchy. Don’t put the dressing on the salad until just before serving.
The salad is best eaten the day it is made. Similar to coleslaw it tends to go downhill after a day. The taste is still nice, but the salad will get a little watery from the moisture the brussels sprouts release.
The dressing will keep for about a week. Shake or stir it before using and if it’s too thick, add another tablespoon of warm water to it.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
- Chili Honey Lime Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pears, Bacon and Cranberries
- Miso Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Lemon Parmesan Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Apple, Almond and Blue Cheese Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 5 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 pear, diced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon pepitas
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
Tahini Maple Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 tablespoons warm water
- In a glass measuring cup or jar, add all of the dressing ingredients. Whisk or shake the dressing until it's well combined. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. If the dressing is too thick add an extra tablespoon of water.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large serving bowl. Pour half of the dressing onto the salad and toss everything together. If needed, add more of the dressing until it's the consistency and taste that you like. Add additional salt and pepper to the salad as needed.
This salad is best if it's made and served the day you plan to eat it.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 6gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.