Easy, healthy and on the table in minutes! This family friendly Italian Chicken and Vegetable Skillet is full of flavor, fresh vegetables and plenty of protein. Serve it right out of the skillet or on top of your favorite pasta!
What a drag the day after a big holiday is, especially when you’re lucky enough to turn it into a four day weekend. I hope you all had a great 4th of July and got your fill of hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad and dessert of course! There was no lack of grilling at our house. My husband insisted on hamburgers and of course had to have a side of macaroni salad to go with it. No complaints from me as long as there is ice cream for dessert.
Of course now that we spent the last four days eating way more than we needed to, it’s time to get back to our regular routine and for me that’s making skillet dinners. This Italian Chicken and Vegetable Skillet was one I tried out a couple weeks ago and have been dying to share with you guys. It’s easy, healthy, full of Italian flavor and also happens to take advantage of some of summer’s best vegetables!
My garden is looking awesome right now and while I haven’t picked any vegetables from it yet, there are signs that it won’t be much longer. My zucchini plant is about ten times the size that it was when I planted it and has blossoms now. The three tomato plants are taking up a quarter of the garden and have little flowers. The sugar snap peas, radishes and beets are all looking good, I might even be able to pick some radishes in the next week. Now I just have to cross my fingers that we won’t have any hail storms that destroy everything.
The ingredients in this Italian Chicken and Vegetable Skillet are simple, but when everything is combined together it makes for a very flavorful one pan meal. The chicken marinates in pesto while you prep the rest of the ingredients. Cherry tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, fresh basil, cannellini beans, Italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar and of freshly grated parmesan cheese are all you’ll need to complete this dinner and I bet you already have a lot of the ingredients in your pantry or fridge.
Like the name suggests, everything is cooked in a skillet making cleanup a breeze, which I am currently all about thanks to our broken dishwasher. You can serve this skillet dinner as is or enjoy it over your favorite pasta. Enjoy!
Italian Chicken and Vegetable Skillet
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Season the cut up pieces of chicken with salt and pepper and place them in a freezer bag with the tablespoon of pesto, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and minced garlic. Massage the mixture into the chicken and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes or overnight.
- Heat a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat and spray it with cooking oil.
- Add the chicken mixture to the hot skillet and sauté until thoroughly cooked, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the cooked chicken onto a plate.
- Spray the skillet with more cooking oil then add in the zucchini, tomatoes and remaining teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Sauté until they start to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the chicken back into the skillet along with the cannellini beans, balsamic vinegar and basil. Stir everything together and taste for seasoning.
- Top with the shredded parmesan cheese and cover with a lid or loosely with a piece of foil until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 401kcal Calories from fat 88|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
More Skillet Dinners